Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home network

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home netw

If you are just trying to get to the internet from your lighting network for things such as a time hack, firmware updates, etc. then:

"The World" (a.k.a. "The Cloud") --> Wan side of Primary Router --> Home switch connected to the LAN side of the primary router.
    The home switch is connected to all your home devices. The WAN side of your "lights router" is connected to the LAN side of the primary router as well.
    All your lighting related are connected to the LAN side of the lights router.

If you need to access your lighting stuff from "The World" a port on your primary router needs to be setup to connect you directly to the lighting router. That is a bit more, but can be done.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home netw

Thanks, yes, I can set up port forwarding if I need to. What I want clear about (sorry) is the IP address scheme to keep my show network separate from my home network. Or will that just be automatic because the show controllers (espixelsticks) are all downstream of the show router and nothing will go upstream to the home network? In other words, can everything be on 192.168.1.x without causing problems for my home network?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If the routers are doing their job, the only things that should cross the boundary is that data that is intended to. All lighting data will remain in the lighting network. Only those requests for outside information (such as going to GitHub, or asking for a time hack) will cross the boundary into the home LAN. The home LAN router will see this request, and pass it out to the cloud. Upon return (hopefully with the requested payload), the home router will pass it to the home LAN IP assigned to the lighting router, who will then pass it to the appropriate lighting device.

I have this exact setup here.

I don't have need to access the lighting network from outside, but I do connect to it from computers inside my home network. In my case, I have a VPN running on my lighting router, and I connect that way.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

One last question: do I use just the one DHCP server on my gateway or do I run the DHCP server on my show router as well?

BTW, happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    If the routers are doing their job, the only things that should cross the boundary is that data that is intended to. All lighting data will remain in the lighting network. Only those requests for outside information (such as going to GitHub, or asking for a time hack) will cross the boundary into the home LAN. The home LAN router will see this request, and pass it out to the cloud. Upon return (hopefully with the requested payload), the home router will pass it to the home LAN IP assigned to the lighting router, who will then pass it to the appropriate lighting device.

I have this exact setup here.

I don't have need to access the lighting network from outside, but I do connect to it from computers inside my home network. In my case, I have a VPN running on my lighting router, and I connect that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may be a bit confused, the show network will need a separate IP subnet from you home network, they can not both be 192.168.1.x. The way you showed it in your earlier post 192.168.1.200 WAN <-> Show Router <-> LAN 192.168.2.1 is the proper way. You would have to setup routing and allow traffic through the Show router if you wanted to access the controller from a PC on the Home network but it is probably going to be easier to put you Show PC on the network, since it will need to be there anyway because it is what is sending out the light data that is flooding your home network.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps this will be a bit clearer...
    Light Network Example 2.png
    Last edited by algerdes; 09-17-2018 at 03:28 AM.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

7. Thanks zoarjumper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks.

Network is working properly, thanks to all. Now it seems I have done flaky ESP boards. Saw another thread on that topic a few weeks back. Also decided to go unicast as my whole show is ESPixelStick with no universe duplication across controllers so no need for multicast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

unicast over wifi is likely to cause jitter an delay. It is best to use multicast for wifi.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    unicast over wifi is likely to cause jitter an delay. It is best to use multicast for wifi.
    This is something I tend to disagree with as I've had a LOT more issues with multicast on WIFI than unicast. Thus, I usually say "try both and see what works". A lot of it depends on the controllers you are using (do they properly send IGMP requests, most are OK if you have the latest firmwares), the WIFI access point (does it properly USE the IGMP request, many older ones don't), WIFI connection strength/speed of ALL controllers, what's the beacon interval set to, etc... There are a lot of variables that go into it.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

That and some APs downspeed for broadcast PDUs. You want to turn that off if your AP supports it.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12