Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home network

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home network

I posted a thread that was quite similar to this earlier this year because I thought it was a specific item doing this, but apparently anything I hook up causes this to happen.

So, I've got my desktop PC that has xLights installed. This PC is connected to my home network router via ethernet cable. On the same router, I connect up a controller (for example, my tune-to sign that has a BBB+Octoscroller) via ethernet cable. I go into FPP, enter Bridge mode, and within xLights do the Output to Lights option and play an effect or simple animation. Within a minute, my home network becomes so flooded it shuts down and anything that uses that network no longer has internet access. Then the tune-to sign's FPP becomes very unresponsive and quite often loses the connection. So I shut down the animation in xLights, turn off the Output to Lights, and wait. It's a couple minutes before the home network "recovers" and I have internet access throughout the house again. Long story short, the family is getting tired of me killing the home network every time I want to test something.

So, my question: how do you test controllers, lights, effects, etc, without killing your home network? Is it because I'm running Multicast, even if I have a specific universe (or set of universes) selected? Am I supposed to run all this on a completely unattached PC? I've done a couple searches and nothing is telling me how to solve this. Please help before I get more shouts from across the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home netw

The simplest and easiest solution is to get a second router and use it for your display. I had the exact same problem and the only way I could fix it was separating the home network from the display network.

3. Likes Ruppro, Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Okay, this has been bugging my family for a while now - testing crashes home netw

It sounds like you have a loop in your network. and packets are getting killed using the TTL (Time To Live) mechanism.

FYI: That is not the only thing that can cause network congestion. If this were my network I would start up wireshark and see what kind of traffic is present at the time this is happening.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

5. Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately cant run controllers and have internet unless you have a beefy switch/router.

7. Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Main solutions:

1) Use unicast, not multicast, for all configuration in xLights. Actually, assuming the BBB is running FPP v2.0, use DDP instead of e1.31 as well. Easier to configure.

2) In xLights, disable any outputs/controllers that are not powered up and ready to receive data. The right click popup can disable/enable the various outputs. This is also much easier if you use DDP (one output for a HUGE range of channels instead of a ton of e1.31 outputs) or use the multi-universe per output thing when creating the e1.31 output (so a single line on the setup tab represents a range of universes, not one).

Basically, if you only send data out to controller that are actually running (enabled outputs), and send the data directly to the controller (unicast), it shouldn't affect anything else on the network.
    Dan Kulp

9. Likes Ruppro, Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, keep your light LAN separate from your home LAN. A router between the light LAN and the home LAN will allow only that traffic that needs to get to the outside world to do so. (Updating firmware, getting a time stamp, etc.) All pixel/channel related traffic should stay within the confines of the light LAN.

This is especially true with our ever growing pixel/channel counts. It is only going to get more crowded. Though most (if not all) controllers only have 100 MB connectivity at this time, putting in a Gig network is a good idea. Our needs for lighting will get there, and not too far in the future - in my opinion.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

11. Likes Ruppro, Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the replies.

First, let me say that I am planning on running a network switch and *not* a 2nd router, using a Raspberry Pi as the main controller for my display. This Pi will run to the switch, which is connected to all the various controllers...you guys know this better than I do so I won't bore you with that info...

Second, I am thinking that I have to try doing what Dan suggested and turn off any outputs/controllers that are not specifically being tested, and run just the one model/element, *and* switch to Unicast mode. I've been running in Multicast because it was "easier" at the start, but that's probably my biggest hang-up.

Ugh...and I thought this year I really was ready...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrDudeMan View Post
    Definitely cant run controllers and have internet unless you have a beefy switch/router.
    I guess I have a beefy home router. I do separate the show network in November using an older AP as a router/gateway with hard coded DHCP leases and port forwarding turned on. However, most of my testing is done using my home network and I don't see a lot of issues. My WiFi is a 1900AC AP (routing is turned off and handled by a different box).

FYI: Unicast packets cause WiFi delay due to the need for WiFi and TCP level ACKs. Multicast reduces the overhead by getting rid of the ACKs but is sensitive to network loops and reflections. That is why I said look at a wireshark trace. If you see the same exact packet multiple times, you have a loop of some sort.

I also suggest you use only multicast for devices on the WiFi network to reduce the delay in the queues while waiting for ACK packets. For the wired network, the delay and processing added by the ACK packets is neglidgeable and you can easily use unicast or multicast.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    Main solutions:

1) Use unicast, not multicast, for all configuration in xLights. Actually, assuming the BBB is running FPP v2.0, use DDP instead of e1.31 as well. Easier to configure.

2) In xLights, disable any outputs/controllers that are not powered up and ready to receive data. The right click popup can disable/enable the various outputs. This is also much easier if you use DDP (one output for a HUGE range of channels instead of a ton of e1.31 outputs) or use the multi-universe per output thing when creating the e1.31 output (so a single line on the setup tab represents a range of universes, not one).

Basically, if you only send data out to controller that are actually running (enabled outputs), and send the data directly to the controller (unicast), it shouldn't affect anything else on the network.
    In this case yes, unicast will follow the most direct path to the destination and not appear on any unexpected ports. But if you are sending unicast packets to an unknown destination, you will cause multiple ARP broadcasts to be created every few minutes as the IP layer tries to find the desired destination. This should not impact most networks, but again, if there is a loop it will cause micro bursts of traffic that will kill your network.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a similar problem now getting my network set up for my first show this year. Here's my existing network:
    FiOS gateway (LAN IP: 192.168.1.1, DHCP server) --> Home switch --> Home LAN
    I have another router I plan to use for my show and want it to be accessible over the internet but as a separate LAN. I tried the following off my home switch:
    Home switch --> Lights router (WAN IP 192.168.1.200; LAN IP: 192.168.2.1, DHCP server) --> Lights AP
    I'm having nothing but trouble and would appreciate any assistance from network gurus out there as I only know just enough to be dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast