Thread: Preferred panel orientation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preferred panel orientation

Hi all, I am looking to build a "matrix pillar" from P5 panels (the sidewalk is about 20 feet from the matrix location so I think I need the extra density over P10s) to go next to the front door of my house (which is partially covered from above). The measured area is about 78 x 212 cm so it seems I can do either 2 panels across (in "landscape" panel format) with 12 panels vertically or 4 panels across (in "portrait" panel format) with 6 panels vertically. I had planned to use the Boscoyo Combo Matrix Maker Strips (https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....cPath=36_52_43) to join the panels together and either a Pi 3B+ or Beaglebone pluse ColorLight card to drive it.

From an assembly, wiring and setup point of view, is there any reason to prefer the 2x12 or 4x6 layout of panels since either options comes out to the same area ?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Preferred panel orientation

Shorter chains (particularly with P5's) will have higher refresh rates. With the 4x6, if you stick the BeagleBone+Octo or Pi3B+ + ColorLight in the middle, you can easily use 8 outputs with short cables. 4x3 going up, 4x3 going down. If going with ColorLight, use the Pi3B+.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Preferred panel orientation

Hi Dan, thank you for your quick reply, most helpful. One further question: does anyone know if the Lyson LED Indoor P5 panels as recommended on AusChristmasLighting work with the Boscoyo matrix maker strips in terms of the mounting holes lining up ?