Thread: P10/P5 panels vs matrix nodes vs TVís

Post Thanks / Like

Default P10/P5 panels vs matrix nodes vs TVís

Okay everyone. Can someone explain the craze with these p10 panels and jumbotron displays today in all the light shows? Couldnt I just get a cheap LED tv or projector and play video from a raspberry pi if I wanted to display video in my show? Am I missing something?
    [SIZE=3][B]8000 + E1.31 Channels (5x E68x controllers)
    128 Renard Channels[/SIZE][/B]
    sequencing with LightShow Pro 2.8 and/or Vixen 3 (using xLights scheduler)
    2 x Pixel Mega Trees, RGB Pixel Roofline, 2 x RGB Pixel Spinners, 11 x Pixel Bushes, 6 x GECE Icicle Arches, 16 x RGB Mini Trees, 2 x Vertical Pixel Poles,
    12 x 10w RGB Floods, 160 Strobes controlled by Arduino
    [URL="http://www.controlthelights.net"]http://www.controlthelights.net[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: P10/P5 panels vs matrix nodes vs TVís

You can totally get a projector or video display. I use a projector to project singing pumpkin faces on pumpkins.

There's two ways to go about it.

The first is virtual matrix. This is generally at a very low resolution as the data needed to transmit HD quality would be way to excessive. In this mode, you set up a pixel matrix as normal (in your sequencing software) and then enable virtual matrix under channel outputs. The display will then emulate a pixel matrix.

The second way is to use video. In this mode, the FPP stores a video on board (this could be a remote FPP too), and triggers playback when a certain script is called in a sequence. Although this is better quality, it isn't "sequence-able". You will need to make or find a video file to go along with the sequence.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it either. If I wanted to display video and pictures, I would use a video display. I do exactly this in my display. I use a TV as a tune-to sign, and I use video projection for singing trees. I don't identify with the desire to display low res pattern art onto a low res LED display. It doesn't look like video, and it doesn't look like Christmas lights. But everyone's got a style and theme to their display. It's not mine, but it evidentially suits others well.

4. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a P5 panel in my window. I didn't want to do a TV due to having to buy and store it, and I can't use a projector outside due to weather. my P5 looks like normal video from the distance I'm at to the street, and is small enough that it's easy to store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I don't get it either. If I wanted to display video and pictures, I would use a video display. I do exactly this in my display. I use a TV as a tune-to sign, and I use video projection for singing trees. I don't identify with the desire to display low res pattern art onto a low res LED display. It doesn't look like video, and it doesn't look like Christmas lights. But everyone's got a style and theme to their display. It's not mine, but it evidentially suits others well.
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but how do you display video clips while running a sequence within a show? You can output video to a controller, but how do you set that up for a TV?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalk101 View Post
    Okay everyone. Can someone explain the craze with these p10 panels and jumbotron displays today in all the light shows? Couldnt I just get a cheap LED tv or projector and play video from a raspberry pi if I wanted to display video in my show? Am I missing something?
    Remember. Christmas lights were traditionally strings of evenly spaced bulbs. The P10 matrix still has that look and feel to some extent, at least much moreso than a projector or TV monitor.

And that is why many people love those things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but how do you display video clips while running a sequence within a show? You can output video to a controller, but how do you set that up for a TV?
    This gets into the more advanced show layouts, but P10/5 stuff is pretty advanced too. Each video display needs it's own video player. The FPP on a Pi is a great choice for this. There's different methods to play the video at the right time, depending on how you're using it. If the video just needs to play at specific times, but not necessarily stay in sync, then you can embed control channels into your sequence that serve as triggers to start clips playing on the remote player(s). This is how I do my tune-to sign.
    If the video needs to stay in sync, you can do that as well. This is how I run my projection faces. On the FPP, you can set up the slaves with multisync and use video files instead of audio files on the slaves. In this case, the video files need to match the length of the audio/sequence file. You'd author/edit this video file to have the action you want when you want it. You'd need to use video or animation editing software for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some additional reading to give you some thoughts. My Tune-To sign thread: https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...ght=fancy+tune

Here's a thread on my video trees. I don't go into much detail about the video part, but go ahead and ask questions on the thread. https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...ht=video+trees

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, you can do much more than just video. Iíve sub modelled the P10's and am using them as pixels to make a multitude of props which can then be sequenced as any other lights. Hereís a test for a Holdman star.
    https://vimeo.com/246700500
    Thatís sequenced in xlights not video. I'm currently working on mapping a singing tree, then on the todo list are; pumpkin, bulb and candle.

11. Likes Keith R liked this post