Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ESP-01 Modules that don't work for an ESPixelStick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap ESP-01 Modules that don't work for an ESPixelStick

So I purchased 10 ESP-01's from Aliexpress, and they don't work. At least they don't work with the ESPixelStick code. Seems to be a common problem. Guessing not all ESP-01's are the same.

I could flash the ESP by 'hard-coding' the spiffs file. The ESP would work the first time, but never reconnect.

The ESP-01 I had with 'AI-Cloud Inside' works fine, no issues.

Anyone found a use for these 'bad' ESP-01's? Or a fix to get around the connection issue?

Are there known good ESP-01's we should be buying? I ordered more from Aliexpress with the 'AI-Cloud Inside' in the picture.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cheap ESP-01 Modules that don't work for an ESPixelStick

Known issue. No fix for ESP Sticks yet...may never be a fix. No know way to guarantee you won’t get them again. Try domestic source- pay more, but pre tested.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Look at the chip next to the CPU. On the working version, the chip is physically larger. If I remember the discussions, it is that chip that has the timing issue that causes the ESP-01s to fail. So if you see a picture of what you are getting, make sure it has the larger chip installed. FYI: That is not a guarantee, just something I noticed in your picture.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

How good are you at soldering smd devices. I fixed 5 of them by floating solder with an iron.
    Chip = W25Q32FVSIG

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pc...ceBeautifyAB=0

https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...ll=1#post99568
    In Lights Therapy

5. Likes Keith R liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the bad chips are puma? I found you can flash the chips and they will work as long as you dont make or save changes in the web gui. Could be wrong though.
    [SIZE=3][B]8000 + E1.31 Channels (5x E68x controllers)
    128 Renard Channels[/SIZE][/B]
    sequencing with LightShow Pro 2.8 and/or Vixen 3 (using xLights scheduler)
    2 x Pixel Mega Trees, RGB Pixel Roofline, 2 x RGB Pixel Spinners, 11 x Pixel Bushes, 6 x GECE Icicle Arches, 16 x RGB Mini Trees, 2 x Vertical Pixel Poles,
    12 x 10w RGB Floods, 160 Strobes controlled by Arduino
    [URL="http://www.controlthelights.net"]http://www.controlthelights.net[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Matt

8. Likes mikel3332 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalk101 View Post
    I think the bad chips are puma? I found you can flash the chips and they will work as long as you dont make or save changes in the web gui. Could be wrong though.
    Manufacturer of memory chip with the problem is Puya. I was able to fix mine by replacing the memory chip.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, either replace the Puya chip or hang onto them -- once the Arduino core is universally updated to use the Puya chip and current ESP firmware gets recompiled with the new core, they may work -- so don't toss them out!

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

11. Thanks Airwolf16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the info.

Dirknerkle, as I'm digging out crap from last year, I found a couple of RenardESP kits I bought from you. I dorked with them for way too long. I could get them to work and then nothing, re-flash, repeat, same result. What I noticed a few minutes ago, I have some ESP01's with the Puya chip. Well CRAP! At least I understand the issue now. And hopefully this thread will help others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ucfknight98 View Post
    Thank you all for the info.

Dirknerkle, as I'm digging out crap from last year, I found a couple of RenardESP kits I bought from you. I dorked with them for way too long. I could get them to work and then nothing, re-flash, repeat, same result. What I noticed a few minutes ago, I have some ESP01's with the Puya chip. Well CRAP! At least I understand the issue now. And hopefully this thread will help others.
    The Puya do work with ver 1.4 of the firmware

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast