Thread: Rgb newbie help ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rgb newbie help ?

Hey everyone need some advice but first a bit of info.
    Last year was my first time setting up a Xmas display, it was a 52 channel setup completely done with lor and although It was cool it really wasn’t , well you know what I mean, any way skipping ahead I have completely changed my setup for this year. All rgb setup using xlights for sequencing. Display includes mini trees,mega trees, house and window outlines and matrices.
    After all my research and hours scouting the net for answers I am now coming to the expersts here for some much needed advice. Do I run the show off a laptop using xscheduler or implement a raspberry pi and falcon player combo that seems to be very popular. I like the fact of not having a computer in the garage as that is how my lor setup was last year. However I have zero experience with Linux systems and would not know where to begin with the pi. Any suggestions would be great guys thanks so much
    Is it me, or am i running out of time here ? September already ?
    Red Green Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rgb newbie help ?

While the PI is running linux, the FPP software hides all of that from you. The FPP software comes with a web UI that allows you to completely control the PI. The installation process is started on your Windows or MAC computer and you will never know that linux is running.

I use multiple PIs running FPP software in my show. FPP is super reliable and has the ability to run massive shows (many tens of thousands of pixels) without issue.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh so I don’t really need experience with Linux to get it up and running?
    Also the raspberry pi b plus is the one I’m looking at Would you recommend that version I think it’s the latest one
    Red Green Blue

Post Thanks / Like

the pi 3 b + is the one i would get. the pi zero would work as well but my pi's work at other things the rest of the year so the extra functionality comes in handy.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Martin thanks for the response I think I’m going to go ahead with the pi
    Was also wondering how does that setup work with the fm transmitter I’m assuming that it will run directly off the pi as there is an audio out jack on it but what turns it off and on at specific times or does it constantly stay on for the whole month of December and only transmits when the show is being played ?
    I am running the whole house fm transmitter 3.0 btw. Powered by usb
    Thanks
    Red Green Blue

Post Thanks / Like

for my show the pi and transmitter are on from end november to the 2nd week of January. FPP only outputs music while the show is running. The next issue is sound quality. My master PI has an audio hat on it. IMO the sound quality from the hat significantly exceeds that created by the on-board audio circuit. They both work and it is up to you to decide whether the quality is good enough.

FYI: I used the on-board audio for three seasons before upgrading. I wanted better bass for one of my new songs so I upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to recommend a good audio hat for the pi and also Ive read that some folks are using digital mixers for there audio as well do you think this is necessary ?
    Red Green Blue

Post Thanks / Like

The use of a digital mixer is another personal preference. Some people also use USB based sound cards with good results. I use an older version of the HiFiBerry that you can see in this link. I find the audio quality is "good enough" for me. Others like to go the next step up in quality. It all depends on how you want things to sound and how much you want to spend. I put my big audio money into an EDF transmitter and a modest amount into the audio source.

https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...iberry-dac-pro