Thread: So Many Ideas...Vixen Video Projection? Moving Lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Many Ideas...Vixen Video Projection? Moving Lights?

I have so many ideas of what I would like to do. The one that I would like to do the most is video projection. We have a big wreath in the shape of a Mickey Head and I would like to project different clips in sync with the light show. I am only using incandescent mini lights this year (hopefully I can graduate to pixels next year!). Is this possible to do in Vixen? Also what about moving DMX lights? Please let me know if you need more details.

-Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So Many Ideas...Vixen Video Projection? Moving Lights?

I do this with the sequencing done in Vixen and playback handled by FPP. Fpp can handle keeping video and sequences in sync even across multiple instances. I run my video from two different FPPs using both full sequence sync as well as script and control channel triggers from command channels embedded in the sequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I do this with the sequencing done in Vixen and playback handled by FPP. Fpp can handle keeping video and sequences in sync even across multiple instances. I run my video from two different FPPs using both full sequence sync as well as script and control channel triggers from command channels embedded in the sequence.

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry for the noob question but what is FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blurredvsi0n View Post
    Sorry for the noob question but what is FPP
    FPP = "Falcon Pi Player" because it started running on a Pi but now runs on others as well. Many of use sequence in Vixen or xLights then export and run our shows from the Pi. They are awesome little computers.

Look at this forum
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...-Falcon-Player

You can get the FPP software from here.
    http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

Post Thanks / Like

FALCON PI PLAYER

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

A Raspberry Pi computer (~35$) programmed for a specific task -- to be a scheduler and display driver for your christmas shows.

The way I used to do things was have a dedicated computer in the garage for the light shows. The computers would die in summer garage heat almost every year. Also, moving the data between show computer and the main computer in my bedroom, while not terrible, was still frustrating. You'd make a change and have to move the file, test it, discover your mistake, go all the way back and try to correct it, etc etc.

Enter FPP. You put it on your network in the garage, and moving the media and FSEQ exports is as simple as: going to /FPP in the browser, clicking on the files there, dragging and dropping them into the website. FPP makes everything about scheduling your show a breeze. Furthermore the music plays right at that Pi computer, so you can hook up an FM transmitter to it instead of conning the wife into allowing antennas and radio transmitters in the bedroom... Don't ask. And configuring isn't hard - at the main computer you note on a piece of paper what universe and IP address what props are and what numbers they start and stop at. You put the same into the FPP in the setup tab. Tada, now the 22nd channel in your FSEQ file will go to the right IP address and universe, like you want it to.

And like Vixen, it is free.

Buy two or three pi's for a lifetime buy. I've never had any problem with mine in the heat (unlike the pcs.) Programming the SDCARD is a bit of a learning curve if you've never done it before, and you'll need a USB/SDcard dongle. But I can't remember not doing it this way.

CAUTION: Get a UPS for the power supply to your FPP. The pi does NOT like simply having its power cut off instead of going to shutdown. If you lose power, you have 1/3 odds that the pi won't turn on again without a complete reburning of the SDCard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    CAUTION: Get a UPS for the power supply to your FPP. The pi does NOT like simply having its power cut off instead of going to shutdown. If you lose power, you have 1/3 odds that the pi won't turn on again without a complete reburning of the SDCard.
    I would say this is true if you use a cheap SDCard that possibly came with the PI. In my first year this happened to me a few times, it was frustrating. I always had a spare SD with the basic FPP software loaded just in case. I use SanDisk now and have just cut the power many times and not once have I had to reburn my SDCard. I've never needed my backup card. What card(s) are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    I use SanDisk now and have just cut the power many times and not once have I had to reburn my SDCard. I've never needed my backup card.
    It is true that the better cards are less likely to go belly up when power is cut, but it can happen. (Twice in 3 years - since we went to the better cards.)

Actually both suggestions are well worth the trouble. Get the best cards you can afford, and backup the Pi with some sort of power/shutdown plan.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    It is true that the better cards are less likely to go belly up when power is cut, but it can happen. (Twice in 3 years - since we went to the better cards.) Actually both suggestions are well worth the trouble. Get the best cards you can afford, and backup the Pi with some sort of power/shutdown plan.
    Wasn't FPP improved in this regard as well? I thought I remembered some discussion about making sure some data got written to the card that helped it recover better.

Back to the OP, Vixen had various ways you might sync video. But it all depends on how your projector works. If you are talking about using vixen to play a video clip, not much there for support. That is where the FPP shines.
    DMX moving heads might be possible also but it depends on your controller and how much work you want to do to control them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I am using vixen for a Halloween light show using an Arduino. And would like to sinc video using Mapio2 projection mapping software to my sequence how would I do this? Thanks so much.