Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: DIY Coro Arch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default DIY Coro Arch

    Made from black and natural coro with 62 led strips. I found that if I sprayed the back side with chrome/silver paint, the result was a very smooth - yet sharp - projection of light. Super lightweight and economical! I found a sign shop with 4x8 coro for $12/sht - sure beats $85 for ldpe tubing! Am able to make 8 complete arches for $24 and lots of glue!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Likes tecnageek liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Phx,AZ
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Interesting I thought about doing this as well, but how are you keeping all the arches the same curve. Did you make a coro temple to trace over and cut. That was my issue coro is a pain in the.... to cut circular. I tried this but couldn't get the arches the exact same.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Looks great. I may have to look into this.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by mister softee View Post
    Interesting I thought about doing this as well, but how are you keeping all the arches the same curve. Did you make a coro temple to trace over and cut. That was my issue coro is a pain in the.... to cut circular. I tried this but couldn't get the arches the exact same.
    depending on the equipment you have, you could make a hardboard template, then use a pattern bit in a router to cut as many as you want identical.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

  6. Likes dcamron liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by gpoduska View Post
    Made from black and natural coro with 62 led strips. I found that if I sprayed the back side with chrome/silver paint, the result was a very smooth - yet sharp - projection of light. Super lightweight and economical! I found a sign shop with 4x8 coro for $12/sht - sure beats $85 for ldpe tubing! Am able to make 8 complete arches for $24 and lots of glue!
    Looks really nice! So you are using 4 pieces per arch, 2 curved and 2 with the cells running horizontally so they can curve with the arch? How big did they turn out?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    So... I first made a template in Inkscape (file attached) and printed out full side on several 8x11 sheets of paper. Then taped them together and cut out the outline and traced several close together on the black coro. I did half of the full arch so I can squeeze em all in a single coro sheet. Then took a utility knife and cut em all out and glued the black/back arch pieces together. I kinda went for a parabolic shape as you can see from the half arch. Overall, its almost 4 ft in diameter and 1.5 inch thick. Once i had the back part of the arch made, I took a band saw and cut many 2 inch pieces -cross flute - to make the top (clear) and bottom (black) sides. I cut through only one side of the pieces to be able to bend easier around the arch. I put the black bottom in first and then sprayed with chrome paint. I got this idea from an office eco hack where they put mirrored backing to ceiling fluorescent lights. 1 light reflected as many as 2-3, etc. The result was astounding! I was able to put the strip facing upwards around the bottom piece using the two sided adhesive on the strips which reflects off the back as well as forward for a combo of diffusion! Then i made full size front/clear arches by tracing the arch back already made. The is made for a little bit of waste, but large enough to keep for future concoctions. Using this honeycomb method is extremely sturdy once the last cap piece is on.

    For stakes, I plan on using thick piano wire and securing with a piece of coro...

    Overall I couldn't be happier with the result! I've been pondering all the various ideas and thought this was the best and most economical. Previously I used 5/8" drip irrigation hose and hula hoops with 12mm hole drilled for pixels, but found them all to be wobbly and just not up to the task.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Here is the file....

    Converted to jpg...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Quote Originally Posted by gpoduska View Post
    So... I first made a template in Inkscape (file attached) and printed out full side on several 8x11 sheets of paper. Then taped them together and cut out the outline and traced several close together on the black coro. I did half of the full arch so I can squeeze em all in a single coro sheet. Then took a utility knife and cut em all out and glued the black/back arch pieces together. I kinda went for a parabolic shape as you can see from the half arch. Overall, its almost 4 ft in diameter and 1.5 inch thick. Once i had the back part of the arch made, I took a band saw and cut many 2 inch pieces -cross flute - to make the top (clear) and bottom (black) sides. I cut through only one side of the pieces to be able to bend easier around the arch. I put the black bottom in first and then sprayed with chrome paint. I got this idea from an office eco hack where they put mirrored backing to ceiling fluorescent lights. 1 light reflected as many as 2-3, etc. The result was astounding! I was able to put the strip facing upwards around the bottom piece using the two sided adhesive on the strips which reflects off the back as well as forward for a combo of diffusion! Then i made full size front/clear arches by tracing the arch back already made. The is made for a little bit of waste, but large enough to keep for future concoctions. Using this honeycomb method is extremely sturdy once the last cap piece is on.

    For stakes, I plan on using thick piano wire and securing with a piece of coro...

    Overall I couldn't be happier with the result! I've been pondering all the various ideas and thought this was the best and most economical. Previously I used 5/8" drip irrigation hose and hula hoops with 12mm hole drilled for pixels, but found them all to be wobbly and just not up to the task.
    Nice! You should talk to Brian (Macrosill) the site admin about adding this to the Wiki. I did one last year for the StarFlake Spinner, and may do another shortly for my Singing Pixel Snowmen.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Some others....

    I'm on a coro kick..! I think there are great coro products out there, but I consider myself a "maker" of sorts and enjoy the fruits of my labor..!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: DIY Coro Arch

    Starflake spinner is awesome! Now the challenge is to make a Starflake/Spinner/Snowman/Candycane all-in-1 !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •