Thread: New to the 3d printer scene, looking for advice or ideas for how to use it for xmas

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to the 3d printer scene, looking for advice or ideas for how to use it for xmas

Just built my Anet A8 and added some upgrades. Print quality is decent so far. My build area is 220x220x240. I'm trying to figure out what to print or create/how to use it to enhance my xmas light display this year. I know alot of people use it for props for halloween shows, but other than maybe a snowflake, I can't think of how to best use this to it's potential?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to the 3d printer scene, looking for advice or ideas for how to use it for xm

Thingiverse has a diy holiday group. It’s a start.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/diy-christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to the 3d printer scene, looking for advice or ideas for how to use it for xm

1st thing you should do is flash your firmware to enable thermal runaway detection. Most chinese printers do not enable this by default and it adds a bit of protection in case you have an issue with your heating element (read up on thermal runaway and Anet A8)
    I use mine quite a bit for things like:
    -clips for siding
    -clips for 1/2" conduit
    -Power supply mounts
    -pixel covers
    the list is endless....
    Start with tinkercad and you'll be amazed with how fast you are making your own clips and such. It's a blast.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Facebook group too

https://m.facebook.com/groups/233383237101011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    1st thing you should do is flash your firmware to enable thermal runaway detection. Most chinese printers do not enable this by default and it adds a bit of protection in case you have an issue with your heating element (read up on thermal runaway and Anet A8)
    I use mine quite a bit for things like:
    -clips for siding
    -clips for 1/2" conduit
    -Power supply mounts
    -pixel covers
    the list is endless....
    Start with tinkercad and you'll be amazed with how fast you are making your own clips and such. It's a blast.
    Thanks,
    So, being an ANET A8, I read about the fire risk First thing I did is flash Marlin firmware, install a mosfet, and use some spt2 wire to connect it. I then printed various upgrades I found such as Spriya 2 fan ducts, t stabilizer, Z fine adjustment, and some shock absorbers. Greased the tracks and bearings, added a belt tension spring and a glass bed. Sooooo....hoping that covers me for base starting upgrades on functionality. But it's the list of WHAT to use it for I'm having trouble with. I see those items you mention. Any others worth adding? Are you using PLA or ABS for the parts? Pixel covers? As in bulb type covers?

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, glad you took the time to read up on the firmware. I know others are probably sick of me saying it, but I have heard too many folks have issues so i always warn to enable thermal runaway protection.
    I use PLA to tinker and prototype but usually use PETG for outdoor stuff (would use ASA but too expensive). PETG is best of both worlds, no smell and easy to print with with close to the strength of ABS (just print hotter and use 2 sheets of paper when tramming bed).
    Here's a few pics of some of the stuff I am printing now...
    Fully printed arch and bases (also the birdhouse is 3d printed from thingiverse)
    arch.jpg
    On the ender3 is a finished pumpkin with cutout and starting and an arm for a snowflake on the cr10s (arm is being printed in PETG)
    pumpkin.jpg
    On the old Sunhokey i3 is a litho lamp I whipped up. The center uses a battery puck light you get from dollar store and the sides would be lithophanes (just slide in).
    lamp.jpg
    Ignore the mess, I just moved into the kids' toyroom which is now my Man Cave, I have to organize things.
    That's my story and I'm sticking with it....LOL
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    Ignore the mess, I just moved into the kids' toyroom which is now my Man Cave, I have to organize things.
    That's my story and I'm sticking with it....LOL
    Here I was looking at your workbench thinking that's a lot neater than mine is at the moment.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought when I got my 3d printer. Ok I have this cool thing, now what...?

It has come in really handy though. This past year Ive printed 30 RBL bases and a handful of pixel strip holders for arches. The thingiverse group has lots of good ideas.