Thread: sender/receiver or t-8000

Post Thanks / Like

Default sender/receiver or t-8000

I figure if anyone will be able to answer this question; it is you guys.

I have built a 128*64 pixel banner using ws2812s panels. I am using this for my band. I originally ran it with a raspberry pi and arduino but found it limiting and my sound guy wanted nothing to do with compiling and running c++ programs to run my banner. So I am looking at just creating images, small movies and light displays and sending them to be displayed on the banner. So here is where I need your help. What is the difference between a sending/receiving unit such as this
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1453

and a t-8000 controller such as this
    https://kutop.com/t-8000c-programmab...0aAmthEALw_wcB

They both appear to do the same thing. The t-8000 says it will work with dmx programs; but I can't use that since I am using 48 universes ((128*64*3)/512). There also seems to be many different versions of the t-8000 running anywhere from 256 pixels a port to 1024. I need 8 ports at 1024 pixels ((128*64)/8)

So I am guessing that many of use one or the other I am wondering about the pro's and con's of each. Bonus points if you can figure out a way I can cycle through the images using a foot controller.

Thanks
    William

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sender/receiver or t-8000

Raspberry PI + FPP software (free) + PI Hat makes a complete display system that can drive your grid. No C++ programming required. Next you need to use something like Vixen 3 or xLights to make a set of mini sequences that will play on your grid. You can trigger the various sequences using external inputs. This will allow your sound guy to change what is being displayed without the need to "Program" anything. Give him a set of buttons that kick off the desired sequences and you are good to go. By using one of the well known sequence generators, you can change the sequences as needed (add club / city / state names etc).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

You have 8000 pixels to drive. How did you manage that with an arduino?

To drive that many pixels with speed for "movies", you should probably think about a dedicated controller. This page has a description/comparison of the 16 port "DIY" controllers that fit your requirements. About halfway down are the pixel limits. https://xlights.org/16-port-rgb-pixel-controllers/

You can drive the controllers using a RPi running FPP. FPP has GPIO support so you could attach a "foot pedal" and cycle the overlays/events/schedules using gpio input. You may want to run different sequences though for different songs. This would be easier to select off a "menu" from a web page. For that purpose, you could use the display test function described here: https://falcon-player.gitbooks.io/fa...y_testing.html

None of this kind of sequencing is DJ style sequencing. For that, you might want to look at software that makes pretty patterns for you "on the fly" with stored effects. Jinx is a free software (and looks to be a couple years old now) and Madrix is one of the pay for it versions. I am sure there are others but those are two to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that for real motion video, you are limited to ~600 pixels per contiguous string (no matter what the controller can do).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Jinx is windows based; which is one of the the reasons I am looking at running my laptop. Would love to use Madrix but too many universes; too much money. I was running scripts on my arduino; more like animations, this is how I got around the pixel problem. This why I am I am looking at the t-8000 and adafruit hardware. Jinx should recognize the t-8000 and the t-8000 can do 512 pixels a port; so I would be right at my max. I am leaning towards the t-8000 unless there is a good reason to use the adafruit technology.
    My thought is any dj style animations. I would work up ahead of time and save them also as a short looped movie. So that said, you guys are the people who understand this far more than me; what would you suggest?

Post Thanks / Like

The F16V3 is cheaper per port than the T8000.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sender/receiver or t-8000

Xlights has a bunch of live show features and the ability to be controlled either by external hardware or even a midi panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by keithsw1111; 08-12-2018 at 02:30 AM.