Thread: Coming soon to xLights!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coming soon to xLights!

The first few months I worked on this I kept it under wraps and didn't even tell the other developers. Then when it was ready to demo to them I revealed the wish I've had for several years to be able to preview my display in 3D. I've spent countless hours adding the ability to work in both 2D or 3D. There will be benefits even if you stick to 2D because these new features will allow you to pan and zoom into the preview which has been asked for many times. Working in 3D will be as simple as clicking a checkbox. I got some help from Dan cleaning up the OpenGL shaders and from Keith on the GUI interface to allow camera viewpoints to be specified for changing rendering buffers. You will be able to render effects as if you were standing at different angles of your display if needed. I also anticipate some cool effects you can create if you blend effects rendered from different angles.

I realize many users won't need 3D. For many it would be more of a novelty to be able to view your house from any angle. There are users with corner lots that are hoping to use it for rendering and viewing from multiple camera angles. Also the unlimited preview area is going to allow users creating the big shows like Illuminationz in AZ to be able to model huge layouts without having to create 75 previews to view each piece of the display. In either case it was a fun engineering task to work out all the matrix math and see it come to life.

This is primarily to demo rendering effects based on camera angle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ51-QzBQY

For a more detailed look at some of the new 3D features I made this video a few months ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGgxsfb5piE&t=454s
    Last edited by Gilrock; 08-10-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    Didn't pay for a sig

2. Likes imbluenote, pixelpuppy, uncledan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Coming soon to xLights!

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment! Well done! Are there any specific hardware suggestions you may have for folks in terms of hardware, video accelerators, etc. that might be a good idea for this kind of rendering?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Awesome job Gil. You guys are breaking new ground every day.
    David Pitts
    PixelController, LLC
    PixelController.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.
    This is quite good!
    Knowing what hardware is needed to make this work would be very good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't expect much change in hardware requirements. There could be a small increase in memory usage because it now needs to store x, y, z instead of just x,y and there are some matrices stored with the model class that help with all the positional calculations. I actually accidentally ran for 3 weeks with OpenGL set to 1.x and I didn't even notice until I was wondering why my timing marks lines were thicker than normal.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Post Thanks / Like

As Gil said, this doesn't change the requirements much at all. It's the same number of "points" that we're sending into OpenGL, just with an additional Z coord. Basically, if you have accelerated video drivers (and not the crap that comes with Windows or the stuff that Windows tends to "upgrade" you to during it's auto-updates), you should be OK.

The new rendercache and multi-threading stuff in .24-.26 have a much bigger impact on hardware requirements, or at least recommendations. The render cache in particular consumes a LOT of memory. If fully enabled, I've seen some of my sequences that used to only take 1.5-2GB of memory are now consuming 7-8GB. You can turn off the cache if this is an issue. 64-bit with lots of memory is recommended. The new multi-threading rendering will love to see lots of cores, the more the better.
    Dan Kulp