Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Throughout the year the Vixen Development team never stop working on ensuring Vixen is one of the best Sequencing Software out there. Below are some highlights of Release 3.5.

    New videos on the Vixen Lights YouTube channel that show some of these new features.

    - Redesign of the Lipsync effect and function. Significantly improves workflow and time it takes to generate lipsync effects. No need to have an effect for every mouth movement. One effect can do it all.
    - Custom Props - New form so users can import Boyscoyo models or create you own custom props. Save and share models. Significant improvement on what we had before.
    - Redesign Mark Collections and add Labels to Marks. Significant improvement on marks.
    - New Count Down effect.
    - New Shapes effect using scalable vector graphics. Embedded shapes, fully customisable geometric shapes, Christmas and Halloween shapes. Ability to import SVG files.
    - Include the use of Mark Collections in the Lipsync, Alternating, Text, Fireworks and Shapes effect. Allows changes to be made based on selected Mark collection and marks.
    - Drag and drop files from Windows explorer to the timeline to automatically create required effects. Can drag multiple files and file types at once. Works with image files (including gif), Video files, Glediator files and SVG files.
    - Enable OpenGL for the preview (enabled in the preview setup form) - Allows the user to zoom in/out and drag display around the preview.
    - Remove preset library form and replace with three separate forms for Colors, Gradients and curve.
    - More Performance improvements for larger displays.
    - Many improvements to existing effects and other features.
    - Ability to check for any Vixen updates. Will show a list of all changes compared to your installed version. From the main form on the help menu.
    - Many bug fixes.
    - and many more.

    A detailed list and release notes will be posted when Vixen 3.5 is released.

    Please visit the Vixen Lights YouTube channel

  2. Likes TazChaLet, pixelpuppy liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Can you elaborate more on the performance improvements? Especially in regard to high-channel-count displays (for example, with P10/P5 panel matrix’s)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    Can you elaborate more on the performance improvements? Especially in regard to high-channel-count displays (for example, with P10/P5 panel matrix’s)
    There have been many optimizations in the core to improve memory and cpu usage. I profiled many different profiles and setups and I saw some improvements in all of them and some more than others. The editor should load faster be a little smoother. The memory footprint should be slightly smaller in some cases. In some use cases, the CPU usage will be lower. The amount of channels you can output to lights, should be higher than before, but it is hard to give definitive channel counts because it depends to much on your hardware and the display configuration.

    The bottom line is it should be better and have more capacity than before. It is a incremental, not revolutionary improvement. Will it output 100K+ channels to lights? No. Will it output 50K channels to lights? Possible with good hardware. Can you sequence with outputs off and export to FSEQ 50-100K channels on good hardware. Very likely.

    Our core design is still based on a live input/output on the fly mixing principle. Until that changes, we will never have the raw capacity that can be provided with playing a compiled binary file. There are folks talking advantage of the live capabilities, but generally on a smaller scale, so that feature is not obsolete. So simply switching the design model is not a easy choice.

    Anyway I think most folks will see some improvements depending on their configurations. The bigger the configuration, the more likely you are to see some improvement.

    Jeff

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    917
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    Can you sequence with outputs off and export to FSEQ 50-100K channels on good hardware. Very likely.

    Jeff
    Jeff,

    For me I see a significant improvement when I open my sequences. You've seen my profile/sequence and know that I do a lot of lip syncing on a 6x6 matrix, that alone is 55k channels. Last year it took 15 min just to open/render one of these sequences. I was ready to move to xLights because of this. I like the UI of Vixen over xLights so I stuck it out, plus learning curve is huge to switch. I'm running Dev Build 609 now, it takes a couple of minutes to open/render my sequences which is acceptable.

    Just my experience.

    Jay

  6. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    Jeff,

    For me I see a significant improvement when I open my sequences. You've seen my profile/sequence and know that I do a lot of lip syncing on a 6x6 matrix, that alone is 55k channels. Last year it took 15 min just to open/render one of these sequences. I was ready to move to xLights because of this. I like the UI of Vixen over xLights so I stuck it out, plus learning curve is huge to switch. I'm running Dev Build 609 now, it takes a couple of minutes to open/render my sequences which is acceptable.

    Just my experience.

    Jay
    Thanks for the feedback. I did some of my profiling with your setup. It is helpful to have real life examples over just my own. I had another user who reported a 50% improvement in load and render times for their profile. There are a few more optimizations to a few select effects that may help render times more for those using those that will get added soon.

    I am interested in reports from others if they have tried the development builds from a performance aspect and if any bugs are found. The feedback helps us finish the final testing for the release.

    Jeff

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    Jeff,

    For me I see a significant improvement when I open my sequences. You've seen my profile/sequence and know that I do a lot of lip syncing on a 6x6 matrix, that alone is 55k channels. Last year it took 15 min just to open/render one of these sequences. I was ready to move to xLights because of this. I like the UI of Vixen over xLights so I stuck it out, plus learning curve is huge to switch. I'm running Dev Build 609 now, it takes a couple of minutes to open/render my sequences which is acceptable.

    Just my experience.

    Jay
    I was in almost the exact same situation last year. I absolutely prefer the UI in Vixen3 over the others. However, P10/P5 panels push the channel counts up fast - not to mention the extra pixel strings that get added every year. With 64k channels in P10 panels alone, its do-able, but on top of the 30k channels in pixel strings, I would agree that 100k total is probably an accurate upper limit for Vixen3 right now. Unfortunately, I'm upgrading one of my P10 matrices to a P5 which is 4 times the channels. It's crazy. That one change almost instantly has me up to about 200k channels. Not complaining, it's my choice to move to P5's, just looking for validation on the numbers and it sounds like I'm seeing the expected results of approx 100k channels max.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    I was in almost the exact same situation last year. I absolutely prefer the UI in Vixen3 over the others. However, P10/P5 panels push the channel counts up fast - not to mention the extra pixel strings that get added every year. With 64k channels in P10 panels alone, its do-able, but on top of the 30k channels in pixel strings, I would agree that 100k total is probably an accurate upper limit for Vixen3 right now. Unfortunately, I'm upgrading one of my P10 matrices to a P5 which is 4 times the channels. It's crazy. That one change almost instantly has me up to about 200k channels. Not complaining, it's my choice to move to P5's, just looking for validation on the numbers and it sounds like I'm seeing the expected results of approx 100k channels max.
    I would give the new version a try and see how the improvements play for your setup. I did not have a profile that big to benchmark, and I did not take the time to try and contrive one. You certainly should be able to sequence much more than you could output. If you are exporting to an external player, you will have a much higher ceiling than trying to use Vixen as the player. If you try it and want to share the results / profile with me, I would add it to my benchmark suite.

    Jeff

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    When is been release?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Maryville, Illinois
    Posts
    1,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    The final version is in RC testing right now so it should be soon if nothing major is found.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Netherlands, Lochem
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Upcoming Vixen 3.5 Release

    im excited!!!|
    hoping for crazy features to sequence my matrix!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •