Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Window Frames

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Westport, MA
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Window Frames

    I am putting together my first show for this year, which includes 112 channels spanning two houses that are side by side. While it is evident that pixels are very popular, I prefer the classic LED. (don't crucify me)

    I needed a solution to hang lights on the windows without damaging them, as well as an easy way to store and put up each year.

    As you can see from the first picture below there is a small gap between the frame and the side of the house. My plan was to make a PVC frame and a custom bracket to go over the window protrusion. I was able to bend the metal with just a vice grip. Below is what I came up with.

    Materials:

    1/2" PVC and fittings
    Spray paint and clear coat
    Aluminum strips
    Drill
    Rivet gun and rivets
    Lights
    Zip ties


    I attached the brackets using rivets through the predrilled hole in the back and pipe. I put two on the top of each frame and one in the middle of each vertical pipe.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  2. Likes daveaase liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lebanon, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    2,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardFerguson View Post
    I am putting together my first show for this year, which includes 112 channels spanning two houses that are side by side. While it is evident that pixels are very popular, I prefer the classic LED. (don't crucify me)
    No worries there. It is actually refreshing to see someone building a new project with traditional lights.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardFerguson View Post
    As you can see from the first picture below there is a small gap between the frame and the side of the house. My plan was to make a PVC frame and a custom bracket to go over the window protrusion. I was able to bend the metal with just a vice grip. Below is what I came up with.
    I like it. One thing though, what about wind? Will the frame swing in and out? Do you need anything to hold the frame at the bottom as well?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Westport, MA
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    No worries there. It is actually refreshing to see someone building a new project with traditional lights.



    I like it. One thing though, what about wind? Will the frame swing in and out? Do you need anything to hold the frame at the bottom as well?
    It is really tight. The brackets on the vertical pipes hold it really well. I had it sitting outside for a month before moving forward.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Concord, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    I'm glad to see someone has my same situation. I use aluminum angle to hang the pvc frames above the windows and door. They are larger than the window frame.
    Have had no problems, they just hang there until I take them down. Hope this helps.
    Take what you can, give nothing back!
    2010 - First Attack - Success!
    2011 - Survived Second Attack!
    2012 - In Total Control
    2013 - Calm Sailing
    2014 - I feel a change in the wind
    2015 - No Show, Got lazy in Paradise
    2016 - Back on course
    2017 - No Show, Thinking of Next Year
    http://www.dreamweaverholidaylights.com/

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    houston, TX
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Vi...CB10/202093365

    you put the lights onto the plastic with either Zipties or hotglue. And you make 90deg by simply cutting one side with tin snips and folding it over on itself, then gluing it to shape. A few pieces of Velcro to keep the wind from blowing it off, and you're done. Just slip it over the frame in a single piece with cord coming down the bottom.

    Easy to build, Easy to install, lasts forever, cheap

  7. Thanks daveaase thanked for this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chambersburg, PA
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by MaynardFerguson View Post
    It is really tight. The brackets on the vertical pipes hold it really well. I had it sitting outside for a month before moving forward.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I use a similarly shaped bracket to support several of my props. One advantage is that I can take down my 2nd story window frames and other decorations using only a long paint pole with a hook on the end and no ladders.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    central MO
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Can you take a picture of how you attach led the hooks to house and such?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Westport, MA
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Quote Originally Posted by amrutherford2012 View Post
    Can you take a picture of how you attach led the hooks to house and such?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    There is a gap between the house and the window, enough for the bracket to hang behind.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Clarkton, NC
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Window Frames

    Great idea!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •