Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PICTURES: Building my matrix for 2018 (48x27 pix)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PICTURES: Building my matrix for 2018 (48x27 pix)

Very nicely done! I did the Matt Johnson one last year using 34 x 30 exactly as his video instructed. I want better definition so I am going to remove the bullet pixels and make a 10' mega tree with them. My question is: Can I build a replacement matrix using 34 of these 30 count smart strips so it remains 34 x 30 but precisely spaced? https://www.holidaycoro.com/30-10-Pi...t-p/757-wp.htm
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Very nicely done! I did the Matt Johnson one last year using 34 x 30 exactly as his video instructed. I want better definition so I am going to remove the bullet pixels and make a 10' mega tree with them. My question is: Can I build a replacement matrix using 34 of these 30 count smart strips so it remains 34 x 30 but precisely spaced? https://www.holidaycoro.com/30-10-Pi...t-p/757-wp.htm
    That strip you linked is a 30/10 strip. That means there are 3 RGB leds for each pixel. Not sure from your description if that is what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to see if I could use them in place of the bullet style RGB pixels I have now.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Your original matrix has a spacing of 4 cm between pixels. The spacing of the pixels on the strip is ~4 inches (10 cm).

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, 4" is way too much. I guess I'll keep looking for something closer spaced. Thanks for the help!

each 4" in length, contain 3 RGB LED lights per section. Actually they have 4" sections with 3 addressable pixels in each section. 20 sections total so about 1.3" spacing. This is more of the resolution I was looking for. My plan is to cut and splice to create 30 each 34 pixel rows. Yes more work than bullet pixels, but they will be so evenly spaced it should have better resolution. It also won't weigh 100 kilos. I have to use a 5 pulley hoist to get my present matrix over my garage.
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 07-29-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

in the video it is stated that the 3 leds positioned in the 4 inch spacing make up a pixel, i.e. it is a 4 inch wide pixel. The 3 leds are controlled as a single bullet pixel would be I believe. The strips are intended to be used in arches that would be viewed from a distance. The resolution would not be what you expect.

If you want to reuse your pixels check the following link.

https://pucktronics.com/build-a-mons...w-cost-part-1/
    Last edited by pixelated; 07-30-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right I was looking at the way they described each led; not as a whole pixel. They have a 5 meter that is better. Total Individually Controllable Sections per Strip: 100 Sections (20 per meter) - each 1.97" (50 mm) in length, contains 3 RGB 5050 LED lights per section That will do but way more money. Thanks for the link. I think that coroplast will work great. I have room in the shed to store it.
    Last edited by TomsLEDs; 07-30-2021 at 01:04 AM.
    Love LEDs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomsLEDs View Post
    Yes you are right I was looking at the way they described each led; not as a whole pixel. They have a 5 meter that is better. Total Individually Controllable Sections per Strip: 100 Sections (20 per meter) - each 1.97" (50 mm) in length, contains 3 RGB 5050 LED lights per section That will do but way more money. Thanks for the link. I think that coroplast will work great. I have room in the shed to store it.
    If you are looking for better definition, I would assume you want truly individually controlled strip. With this strip you will still have 60 LEDs controlled by 20 pixels so it will look like short little lines instead of dots. From a distance it might not look bad. I saw many matrices like that back in the early years of pixels. I just interpret your comments as being you want more dots per inch and not lines per inch.

If you want to do strips, look for something like a 20/20 to a 60/60. That will give you dot control and not little lines. If picture quality is not what you are after, the resolution might work for you with the 60/20 strip. But maybe you just want to step up to a P10/P5 style matrix. That has plenty of resolution with relatively small dot pitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice. I love the clarity of the strips but the ones like you mention are high dollar. I just placed an order with Ray Wu for some more 12 volt bullet style for the mega tree. I have had very good luck with running them up to 170 per strand with no power injection. They are actually too bright and run them at 25% with the Sans.
    Love LEDs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12