Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DMX with Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DMX with Arduino

The problem in general with DMX is that it uses a fixed data rate of 250000 bits per second. and a max frame size of 512 channels. This gives you a max number of pixels of about 170 in a single string. And that is if your software is working perfectly. If you use E1.31 then the number gets larger, but the Arduino is not going to run a whole lot more pixels than that. The Renard and Simple Serial protocols have no inter-frame gaps and support higher data rates (aka more pixels). How many more depends on how good your sketch is.

There are many sketches on this site. I posted a Simple Serial sketch for someone else about two weeks ago. It was for relays but could be easily adapted to pixels.

The most cost effective solution is to skip the Arduino and get a Pixel PI Hat (you can find them on this forum as well). The PI hat mounts on top of the PI and gives you many hundreds (I have tested to 400 others claim over 1000) pixels driven without the extra cost of an Arduino.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

MartinMueller2003
    I want to control 16 relay not pixels if you could point me to that Simple Serial sketch I would be very happy. I want to in put from my E1.31 bridge (Renard or DMX) out put to the Arduino to work 16 relays that will be working my A/C lights. If you think this sketch could do that I would love to have it, so I can play with it to see if I am on the right path.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a sketch for four relays. Easily changed via some tables for more relays.
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...e-installation
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 08-08-2018 at 01:55 PM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you tried to show me the sketch or not nothing showed up

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, the post with E1.31 -> Arduino -> upto 16 relays is linked below. This was a development thread so it waffles a bit, it also coveres E1.31 -> Arduino -> DMX and E1.31 -> Arduino -> Pixel (hence the name). The sketches are the posts in the 30s but reading up to them will give you an insight. Whilst I said this was a development thread I've had confirmation that all three sketches are working well for others, if you need any help let me know.

https://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/sho...ll=1#post90440
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 08-08-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent a link to the thread. I just clicked the link and it went to the correct post.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 08-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, does it have to be a DMX into the Arduino or would E1.31 -> Arduino -> relay work? I did a project for this last year.
    Attachment 39905
    Barnabybear, this is exactly what I am looking for E1.31 to Arduino to relay. Do you have details? Can you point me in the right direction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KingChaos View Post
    Barnabybear, this is exactly what I am looking for E1.31 to Arduino to relay. Do you have details? Can you point me in the right direction?
    Hi, the link is in post #15. If you need any help PM me or start a new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12