Thread: SparkFun EL Wire Sequencer

Post Thanks / Like

Default SparkFun EL Wire Sequencer

Has anyone tried using this board? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12781

I haven't tinkered with Adruino yet... I use Vixen 3, E682s and Rpi to run my regular show. I want to use this board to control EL Wire on Halloween customs for my kids.

Is there code I need to load into the sequencer to receive the data from the Rpi?

Here is the set up I want to, please advise if this is correct.

schematic 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SparkFun EL Wire Sequencer

Most likely you will need some special code to read the xBee input and output it to the correct pin on the controller. It looks like from the how to page, the xBee will dynamically just be serial input so very simple sketch will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SparkFun EL Wire Sequencer

After doing a little more research, I want to purchase the needed hardware. I've updated by schematic below.

I've read where this has been done before and doesn't seem to far out there. I just can't find the "code" needed to receive the data.

As I understand it for costume #1 I can connect to the RPi with a USB cable to the FTDI board on the Arduino Sparkfun Sequencer.

For Costume #2, I will need to connect a USB to XBEE Explorer USB to another USB port on the RPi and Pair it with a XBEE module attached directly to the Sequencer board.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the code needed to receive the data from the pi. Is there a good tutorial out there, I've never written a sketch and really not a programmer. I've done a little VB in my time.

I plan to use Vixen 3 and assume I will use a generic serial port configuration, one for each costume? Each controller is 8 channels each.

costume network.JPG

this is what I'm looking to achieve but on a much smaller scale.