Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monetizing The Hobby.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monetizing The Hobby.....

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Yes but is the wireless extension cord shortage a production issue or high demand issue?
    It's a shipping/delivery issue. The engineers made thousands of each end but they weren't thinking too clearly (which is normal...) and they first made all the male ends. A few weeks later they made the female ends. But in an unauthorized lab activity (a crazy glue squirt gun game) some shelves collapsed and the ends got all mixed up together -- and many were fused together with gobs of crazy glue. But because each pair has a unique serial number to ensure that they pair up, it takes a lot of time for them to find a matching pair amidst the mess. Coupled with the fact they don't read very well and the serial numbers are long, hexadecimal numbers, they have yet to find a matching pair after nearly 6 years of looking.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

2. Likes plasmadrive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone had any luck with a successful viewer supported model? Donations, community involvement, etc? Success being break even, imo.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Tim Roenicke

2017 - Roenicke Christmas Light Show

Post Thanks / Like

Which is why you should have used Octal. It would have reduced your combinations to 32768 instead of that crazy number you get with Hex FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
    What were they thinking! Long live 8 bit !
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    It's a shipping/delivery issue. The engineers made thousands of each end but they weren't thinking too clearly (which is normal...) and they first made all the male ends. A few weeks later they made the female ends. But in an unauthorized lab activity (a crazy glue squirt gun game) some shelves collapsed and the ends got all mixed up together -- and many were fused together with gobs of crazy glue. But because each pair has a unique serial number to ensure that they pair up, it takes a lot of time for them to find a matching pair amidst the mess. Coupled with the fact they don't read very well and the serial numbers are long, hexadecimal numbers, they have yet to find a matching pair after nearly 6 years of looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by light.show View Post
    Anyone had any luck with a successful viewer supported model? Donations, community involvement, etc? Success being break even, imo.
    Last year I setup a donation box because on Thanksgiving night people were leaving money in my candy cane holder (which isnt secure)

I got a red metal locking box and all money collected was given to a local no kill dog shelter. I didn't keep a cent. This year I plan on putting the donation box back out and matching all the donations to the no kill shelter.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I consider myself a quiet shy ideas guy. I often see something and say "boy it would be great if it could do this". I am far from entrepreneur but more like a serial entrepreneur idea guy. I just don't follow through very well with the doing part. When I first got interested in this I was looking at LOR and found Wow Lights and saw the handmade items people were making and I saw dozens of opportunities to make money. I even did some analysis on some of the options. Bottom line for me was that I did not see any of those options that I was willing to sink my time and money into that would return what I eventually found here on the DIY side. I wish some more of those that tried to sell stuff would chime in the satisfaction and money side of what they do. It would be interesting to hear from a few more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    I consider myself a quiet shy ideas guy. I often see something and say "boy it would be great if it could do this". I am far from entrepreneur but more like a serial entrepreneur idea guy. I just don't follow through very well with the doing part.
    This is 100% me! Believe it or not about 10-12 years ago I had a full days long debate with my best friend about how there should be an investing platform that let people save/invest small amounts (micro deposits). It happened at my house while drinking beer and never left that moment in time.

Flash forward to 2018 and look at all the micro deposit apps and investing tools out there.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - Hoping For 10,000+ Lights - 4 or 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123