Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do YOU waterproof?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do YOU waterproof?

All connectors in plastic boxes with an entry hole in one "end" then placed upright with the hole at the bottom, then covered with a black, in my case, plastic sheet sleeve so that they disappear in the dark.

Jointing cables, mains type, I lap joint each wire and solder, then two layers of ordinary heat shrink over each wire, then the overall set of wires covered in a large (3/8 or 1/2 inch) heatshrink tube, and the total lot covered with three layers of 3M PVC "sparky tape" to seal the water out.

I have had minimal problems using these methods in 10yrs, in fact, when I have had to cut into one of the spliced joints when re-jigging the display I have never seen any evidence of water inside there :-) Our show is in the early summer since we are in the Southern Hemisphere, so no snow but we can easily have 10" of rain and/or temperatures between 40 deg F to the 80's F while the display is up!!

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do YOU waterproof?

For pixels I solder and use 1/8 inch marine (adhesive lined) heat shrink. Then I cover all 3 wires with a larger piece of marine heat shrink. Then cover all of it in electrical tape, focusing on the ends of the outer heat shrink.

The best thing about the adhesive heat shrink is that you can really tell when that seal is formed. There's a certain feel when the glue is just warm enough to fully grip and seal.

I've never had a failure but this will only be my 2nd full year with pixel soldering (even though my pixels are at least 4 years old)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12