Thread: Wet connection?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wet connection?

Ok guys. Some of you may have seen my post on FB's Xlights support page where I made some Pathway lights out of Homedepot solar lights. Well....long story short I put them out last night and everything worked perfectly. I'm using an ESPixelStick to control them. They were still working this am when I got up and turned them off. Torrential rains today so I am suspecting that is the issue. I used red solder seal connectors And these "waterproof" pigtails. Pixels are 5v. When I turned them on this evening one Pixel at the end of the line came on red no matter what I told them to do. Checked at the controller output, and they worked as expected. moving lights around some work, some wont, some will work but not pass data through. Am I right in thinking that I have water getting in in multiple places?

Add - should also mention that on the extension cables, I covered the solder seals with dielectric grease, and heat shrink over that. I think if there's water its at the connection of the pixels to the pigtails.
    Last edited by DrewDennis; 07-16-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wet connection?

I do not think your pigtail to pixel connections would be an issue. Last season I built a mini mega tree for programming in my office....only did quick solder and heat shrink. But the prototype was so good I put it out too, without any additional protection. 30 plus days and night, rain or shine and it is still running fine.....used it on the 4th also. Unless the grease is causing an issue, your connections should be fine. Did your pixels get wet. I had some so called IP67 pixel that leaked and did similar to what you are experiencing. Dried them out and now have under shelter pixels.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

The pixels are from amazon and supposedly are ip67. I cannot see any water / moisture inside the fixtures. The only things I can see wet are the pigtails and possibly the solder seals that connect to the pixels in a couple places, but I can't see any indications of moisture inside the solder seals.

Post Thanks / Like

check your voltage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    check your voltage?
    Voltage was all good. Pulled them all and brought in to my basement lair to dry out. 1/2 are Doa. 5 out of 10. Going to rebuild with much more sealant, and add more to the 5 that survived.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of your "connections" would be a help. I am not a fan of the solder seal type connectors that you use as I have seen them have problems with getting a good solid connection as well as some water ingress. But I tried them a few years back and would hope that they have improved by now. I am an old-fashioned solderer and use glue lined heat shrink and neutral silicone to make connections myself.
    These are all daisy-chained together off one pixelstick?