Thread: Parts on a PCB and soldering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parts on a PCB and soldering

I've built a lot of controllers since I started this and I have another round of things to build. I would like to populate the board first and then solder everything on it. In the past I've put the components on in groups, bent the leads and then taped them down with masking tape to keep them tight as needed. Sometimes I get a part not so tight to the board of course.

Is there an easier way that I'm just not thinking of? I can live with doing batches of parts but any advice on it would be helpful.

Thank you,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Parts on a PCB and soldering

Sounds like you are doing the easiest way. It is hard to keep the components tight against the board when they are different heights, so doing them in groups is the best way. However, I would like to try to place them all on a PCB and take some foam rubber and press on to turn it over and see if that would hold everything. I think it would work except the things like triacs and VRs would cause issue.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I did thru hole (I hate TH now..prefer SMT) I would use a pana-vise, put the board in it and insert the components. Then solder at least one leg. Quite often you can solder from the top side and the solder will wick nicely to the other side as well. But none the less, then you can flip the board over and solder the remainder of the parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are good suggestions to try out. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search for "Poster Tack" and/or "Poster Putty". Insert a component and put poster tack on top to hold it to the board. Flip the board over and parts stay in place while you solder. You can reuse the tack many times. When it gets too dirty to use, press it over the bits of solder and cut off leads on your bench. Does a nice job of cleaning up that stuff up.

Post Thanks / Like

I often solder with the board flipped over on a flat surface. It helps if you go by height profile. Do all low parts first, resistors, diodes etc. Then go to next higher parts. That way small parts dont fall away.
    2012 Second Animated Christmas
    http://vimeo.com/33886466
    http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...