Thread: Quick question about slight "discoloration" between panels...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick question about slight "discoloration" between panels...

I bought 9 panels a couple years ago during a pre-sale event and had them up in a 3x3 matrix this past year. Turns out I couldn't fit very many pictures/images and I certainly didn't get any movies to fit, so after a discussion with my wife she suggested I go bigger this year. And I did -- I went with a 5x4 matrix and ended up buying 15 more panels to add to my 9 for a total of 24 panels. I used 4 of those panels in my Tune To sign and placed the other 20 into my matrix. This week, after powering on the matrix and doing some testing, the first thing my son notices is that some of the panels look a little "different" than some of the others with the lighting - most noticeably in the white color. I think I remember something about this - is this normal to have slightly different white colors from one year's batch of panels to another year? Is there any type of correction factor you can do to alleviate this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick question about slight "discoloration" between panels...

There is color variation between batches and even within a single string of pixels. You may want to test all of the panels and cherry pick the most similar to be in your main matrix.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea - the cherry picking thing. I just thought I had read there was a way to compensate for slight color variances.

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall, on the xlights board, I think, someone used sub models for the different batches of panels, and applied different color settings to each submodel until they matched more closely.

5. Thanks Stormyblade thanked for this post
    Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    If I recall, on the xlights board, I think, someone used sub models for the different batches of panels, and applied different color settings to each submodel until they matched more closely.
    I will look for that - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I ended up just biting the bullet and ordered more P10 panels from the same vendor in the hopes that these match this year's "batch" from the pre-sale event - the matrix lights up showing the same colors now.

Now I just have to go back and find out how to run movies on the matrix, or at least video clips and images. Hopefully my 5hx4w matrix (90x128 pixels) will be enough to show something.