Thread: Looking for outdoor P5 or P10 panels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for outdoor P5 or P10 panels

I am wanting to upgrade my P10 signs so they are more visible during the day and was told outdoor panels are much brighter. They will be need to be compatible with FalconPlayer on either the Beaglebone or Raspberry PI. Last Halloween and Christmas I ran a 3x2 from a PI using nano matrix pihat and 4x6 with the Beaglebone using an octoscroller.

Does anybody have a list of compatible outdoor panels and by chance a reputable source to purchase them? I will need around 50 panels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for outdoor P5 or P10 panels

None of the outdoor panels will work with the Pi (unless you use a Colorlight or linsn adapter). Almost any of them will work with the BeagleBones. If by chance you end up with one that doesn't work with the Beaglebones, send one to me for a few days and I'll get it to work.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    ...If by chance you end up with one that doesn't work with the Beaglebones, send one to me for a few days and I'll get it to work.
    981375.png

Post Thanks / Like

I just got delivered 4 x P5 outdoor panels from Daniel Zhang to test with before I replace my 36 indoor P10 panels. They are 1/8 scan and I am currently running from a BBB with octoscroller but I am going to moving them to the colorlight 5A this year.

I will need to redesign my cabinet to support the outdoor panels and can see that they need to be mounted to a flat plate on the back so that they can be sealed with the silicon seals that they have provided for the back of the panels. I think I will use some polycarbonate sheet for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a link to the store your purchased them? Are they noticeably brighter than the P10s?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilric99 View Post
    I just got delivered 4 x P5 outdoor panels from Daniel Zhang to test with before I replace my 36 indoor P10 panels. They are 1/8 scan and I am currently running from a BBB with octoscroller but I am going to moving them to the colorlight 5A this year.
    P10 "outdoor" panels are 1/4 scan and I always thought it was the different scan rate that made them brighter than 1/8 scan panels (1/4 scan has more LEDs on at the same time). I suppose 1/8 scan P5 panels will be brighter than 1/16 scan P5 panels bu I'm really curious if the 1/8 scan P5 outdoor panels are any brighter than 1/8 scan P10 indoor panels.
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 07-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Zhang is active on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/daniel.zhang.9085

One option that he has is to produce a relatively cheap frame and waterproof cabinet. The P5 outdoor panels require different mounting that what we are used to with the indoor rated panels as they have a seal on the back of them. As we build up bigger panel layouts the cabinet build starts to become an issue.

I have asked him for a link to his website or other ways to connect with him

I understand the P5 panels are much brighter than P10, but have not yet got mine connected to check against my existing P10 panels. I was looking at the P5 as a way to get better resolution.