Thread: Pixels per port performance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixels per port performance

I'm making my mega tree taller this year. Going from 24 strings of 50 pixels to 100 pixels. Currently have a 4 port controller that can do 680 pixels per port. From a visual/refresh standpoint does it make a difference using 4 strings of 600 or getting a 16 port controller and having 12 strings of 200? I know the Falcon V3 controllers can to 1024 pixels per port so can the number of pixels cause any issues? Can you see the difference between long strings or shorter strings?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixels per port performance

600 pixels will take roughly 20ms to refresh between first and last pixel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, because you are increasing the number of pixels on all ports and the ports are are equal in number of pixels this shouldn't be an issue as all 24 strings will refresh at the same time.

For intrest: If you only had 18 strings of 100 pixels as 3 sets of 600 on 3 ports and then a tree topper of only 100 pixels on the 4th port it might be possable to detect a slight difference between the update of the tree topper and the rest of the tree. This is beacuse the string of 600 would take 20mS (20/1000th of a second) to update whilst the shorter 100 string would only take 3.4mS (3.4/1000th of a second) to update.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I'm making my mega tree taller this year. Going from 24 strings of 50 pixels to 100 pixels. Currently have a 4 port controller that can do 680 pixels per port. From a visual/refresh standpoint does it make a difference using 4 strings of 600 or getting a 16 port controller and having 12 strings of 200? I know the Falcon V3 controllers can to 1024 pixels per port so can the number of pixels cause any issues? Can you see the difference between long strings or shorter strings?
    I realize that longer strings will take longer to refresh. What I'm asking is does it matter? Can you visually see a difference between 4 ports with 600 pixels or 12 ports with 200 pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

If you take a string with 600 pixels and fold it in half, then perform a color change on it, you can just make out the first and last pixels have a delay. It looks like a flicker. If the string is stretched out, you cannot tell.

Next: port-to-port artifacts depend on the controller. A software based controller only outputs one or two ports at a time. An FPGA based controller outputs data on many ports concurrently. However, not all of the data arrives at the controller at the same time so there is almost always a difference between what two ports are doing. The difference is usually so small you have to work at seeing it.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

6. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    If you take a string with 600 pixels and fold it in half, then perform a color change on it, you can just make out the first and last pixels have a delay. It looks like a flicker. If the string is stretched out, you cannot tell.

Next: port-to-port artifacts depend on the controller. A software based controller only outputs one or two ports at a time. An FPGA based controller outputs data on many ports concurrently. However, not all of the data arrives at the controller at the same time so there is almost always a difference between what two ports are doing. The difference is usually so small you have to work at seeing it.
    Thank you Martin, this was the information I was looking for. I ended up replacing a v1 AlphaPix4 with a Falcon F4V3 and one expansion board. Some of the new pixels I got had a problem with the AlphaPix. I tested all the pixels with an ESPixelStick and they were fine. When connected to the AlphaPix first pixel on some of the strings flash red.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the inter frame time was a bit short.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.