Thread: I am sure going to miss doing this

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am sure going to miss doing this

Though I find it a lot less stressful this year, I am surely going to miss doing this and the thousands that come by to watch.... I hope you all are having fun

Me and the boys.jpg
    Orchestra 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am sure going to miss doing this

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Though I find it a lot less stressful this year, I am surely going to miss doing this and the thousands that come by to watch.... I hope you all are having fun

Me and the boys.jpg
    Orchestra 1.jpg
    why are you going to miss it? did you give up the hobby??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    why are you going to miss it? did you give up the hobby??
    Too much traffic. I posted all this earlier this year or late last.. forgot which.. Takes 6 people to control the traffic here and that is tight.. hard to get that many volunteer hours from reliable helpers.. so I pulled the plug last year the week before Christmas.

As much as I love doing it and seeing the results in the eyes of those that love it.. I can't keep hoping drivers will continue to work around the backlog of cars that line up for over an hour to see the display.. So.. for the greater good, I have given up doing the display in my front yard. I may do the back yard some year, but not this year..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    Too much traffic. I posted all this earlier this year or late last.. forgot which.. Takes 6 people to control the traffic here and that is tight.. hard to get that many volunteer hours from reliable helpers.. so I pulled the plug last year the week before Christmas.

As much as I love doing it and seeing the results in the eyes of those that love it.. I can't keep hoping drivers will continue to work around the backlog of cars that line up for over an hour to see the display.. So.. for the greater good, I have given up doing the display in my front yard. I may do the back yard some year, but not this year..
    now that you mention it, i do recall that post. for all the reasons you listed, is why i don't do my own house, i do my folks house. i am 3 houses in from a 4way stop sign on the main street in the neighborhood. AND my across the street neighbor parks 1 of their cars in the street so it would be a nightmare.

on a different note, i think they are called moving heads, the ones in your pic, did they come waterproof or is that something you did. can you post a link or message me. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    snip.....
    on a different note, i think they are called moving heads, the ones in your pic, did they come waterproof or is that something you did. can you post a link or message me. thanks.
    Those are low cost 105watt LED moving heads. They are not waterproof. I used some steel NEMA 1 boxes I had laying around and some acrylic globes I bought on line and made the enclosures. Since they have hinged doors with a flange lip all the way around, when they are on their backs like I have them, they are pretty much rainproof. I just cut a hole in the lid and siliconed the globes on. I did have to cut the globes so the holes were bigger. I also had to make risers inside the boxes for the lights to sit up high enough to work right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPfmIuSEBEM

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me sad. While I understand your reasoning for shutting down the display, I also know that a lot of families and kids look forward to seeing displays.

Outside of my wife, dog and new baby (7 month old) I genuinely don't like people and don't like socializing with people in person. I avoid it at all cost. BUT when I'm mowing the grass outside and a random car stops and I hear a kid yell "Are you doing the lights this year?", it just makes me happy inside and reminds me why I do the display.

Could you possibly move your display to another location? Maybe work with a local non-profit that could provide the volunteers and then you could compensate their organization by taking donations at the display?

This year has been more stressful for me as my wife and I just moved into a new housing edition that has an HOA. Everyone that has come by to say hello seems nice but in the HOA FB Group people complain about some silly things (boats parked in a driveway over the weekend, dog getting out of a yard, etc) so I am worried that I will put in a lot of work redesigning my display only to have it complained about and shut down. So I completely understand how the stress can cause you to want to shut it down.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I can certainly relate. I went through (and did) the same thing. I will say though, if you enjoy doing this, then look for another location. I am involved with the town here. We have the local high schools and businesses involved. It has shown me the great community bonds and how much people really love Christmas.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lot of the other location ideas poised at me, but my display is personal to me... If I can't do it at home, it doesn't have the same meaning for me..

But thanks for the thoughts..

Post Thanks / Like

are there any videos of this? that Is AWESOME

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfection322008 View Post
    are there any videos of this? that Is AWESOME
    videos of what exactly? there is a small excerpt of the snowmen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Y_hqfgnZ8

Doesn't show more than about half the yard though.
    Last edited by plasmadrive; 07-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.