Thread: Weird problem that I think I'm just having a brain fart about....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weird problem that I think I'm just having a brain fart about....

So I'm setting up a test strand/controller, and it's been awhile since I've done it....

I have a E6804 and Xlights. Not sure the version but it's from this year.

I'm trying to run 2811 square 12 volt pixels.

I use DIYLEDExpress pixels, and my pixels from 2 years ago are working perfectly. No problems at all it seems. However the ones I received this year aren't working. Can't figure out why. I checked continuity on the pigtails and everything SEEMS correct.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've only been at this for 45 or so minutes but I know how to hook my test stuff up. So I'm either having a huge brain fart or there's something I'm unaware of.

Any thoughts? Has anything changed with the DIYLEDExp pixels from two years ago.

Note: I had to solder pigtails to my old pixels, but my new ones have them preinstalled, but like I said. my checks make me think the wiring is correct.

At this point I've closed Xlights and am running test patterns straight from the sandevice web brower. My sandevice software is 4.051 but it's always worked great.
    Last edited by rmcgee5; 07-01-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    2012 - 12 Channels and an Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weird problem that I think I'm just having a brain fart about....

the new pixels have to have a setting changed in the firmware of the 6804 I know the new firmware has the setting to change read something about it in a thread
    James WinterHaven Fl

3. Thanks rmcgee5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll start searching. Thanks for the direction!

Post Thanks / Like

There was a change to the driver chip last year that changed reset timing. I think version 5.XX has the ability to vary the timing that will make your pixels work. I believe the range is 150 to 500 nanoseconds in 50 nanosecond increments. The newer chips have a longer reset time so you need to increase the time from the default level. I think 250 should work but I can't recall at the moment and all my stuff is stored away. The longer reset timing will also work on older chips, just not vice versa.
    Ed
    Happily retired

6. Thanks rmcgee5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent info. I appreciate it!.... sadly I guess I'll have to finally upgrade my firmware. : ( ah well. Better now than November

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the thread about the DIY Bridge, Pixel Extender, and the new Firmware. BTW the latest Firmware version is V4.04

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...extender-setup
    Last edited by mikeh65; 07-02-2018 at 01:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    Here is the thread about the DIY Bridge, Pixel Extender, and the new Firmware. BTW the latest Firmware version is V4.04

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...extender-setup
    For the 6804, the latest firmware is linked here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...vices+firmware
    Check the bottom of the first entry for the latest.
    Ed
    Happily retired

10. Thanks rmcgee5 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone. Just to close the thread in case anyone else ever reads this. I updated my firmware on my E6804, something I've never done before, and everything instantly worked. The threads you guys posted were definitely helpful, and they lead me to this youtube video which had me completing my update in no time flat (and without any special Parallax Prop Plug which is called out in some threads).

The YT vid is from "listentoourlights"

Updating SanDevices E682 Firmware
    https://youtu.be/O8AwssJLD9A

12. Likes TazChaLet liked this post