Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Wide Driveway Arch Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Double Wide Driveway Arch Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    Do you know approximately how high the sides are before they start bending to create the arch?

We have 2 SUVs that I am needing to clear.
    My driveway is 16ft wide. I buy 5ft post, which leaves 4ft above ground. The conduit starts bending at the top of the post.
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any photos of how their driveway arches are setup? I know a lot use the U post on each side but I would like to avoid that if possible as I would need 16 (I want to make 8 arches) and then 24+ pieces of PVC.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is old but I am doing some this year and have found this equation. Take the distance you want from pole to pole, divide by two and then multiply by 3.14. Use electrical conduit (the grey stuff). Ise 1" or thicker. I'll use 1/2 rebar 2' in the ground and 2'above to slide over the conduit. When connecting the arches together you use 3/4" PVC between each. Connecting with an eye bolt and a cotter pin. Should hold real nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few points you should consider when using this calculation:

• This is a standard circumference calculation for a perfect circle.
    • The height in the center is going to be 1/2 the distance between the poles.
    • The height drops off quickly to each side of center.

This means that unless you elevate the entire arch, you may not be able to fit your car under the arch. Your other alternative is to make the pipe longer. This will change the shape of the arch (more like the top of an oval) and will result in more space under the arch to drive through.

Martin

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I used the standard idea of multiple pieces and then let it bend on its own. That worked but it made driving under it hard when the arches got ice on them. This year I am going to run a metal support pole down the middle of my driveway and use 90 degree conduit pieces for the corners. This should result in a much better look and will almost eliminate all guy wires. (Last year I had 4 guy wires on each arch)
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12