Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Wide Driveway Arch Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double Wide Driveway Arch Questions

Thos that use PVC to make driveway arches how long are each of your poles for a double wide driveway? Do you have a fitting in the middle to connect the arches together so they support each other?

Any pictures would help.

My old driveway arch system was metal and cabling that worked well because we had a tree on each side of our driveway. At our new house my current system will not work.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Double Wide Driveway Arch Questions

Here is what I have used for a couple of years. My drive way is 2 cars wide and I have 4 arches. I use 3 sections of 10ft 1/2" pvc conduit for each arch. I just shove the sections together; no fasteners. I use 5ft u-posts (here) so that I have about 4ft above ground and the channel facing away from driveway. Then use zip ties to hold conduit in the channel. I have strung them with 1 string of c6 bulbs. Last year i switched to using velcro garland tie that is sold with the christmas stuff at home depot, instead of zip ties, to old the light strings on. I break the arches down completely each year for storage. I have been looking to switch to c7 pixel nodes this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lights, blow molds, and cut outs; no blinky-flashy yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wood_guy View Post
    Here is what I have used for a couple of years. My drive way is 2 cars wide and I have 4 arches. I use 3 sections of 10ft 1/2" pvc conduit for each arch. I just shove the sections together; no fasteners. I use 5ft u-posts (here) so that I have about 4ft above ground and the channel facing away from driveway. Then use zip ties to hold conduit in the channel. I have strung them with 1 string of c6 bulbs. Last year i switched to using velcro garland tie that is sold with the christmas stuff at home depot, instead of zip ties, to old the light strings on. I break the arches down completely each year for storage. I have been looking to switch to c7 pixel nodes this year.
    Do you slide the metal pole inside the PVC or do you just connect the pvc to the metal pole with zip ties or some other clamp? Also have you had any issues with the PVS getting brittle from year to year?
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Post Thanks / Like

I do not insert anything into the conduit. The conduit is held into the U shape with the zip ties. I use some spring clamps to hold it in place until I can get the zip ties secured. I use 4 zip ties on each post. It takes at least two people to put up an arch. The 30 foot section is quite floppy until it is secured. I believe that the conduit has some UV resistance and should not get brittle.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not insert anything into the conduit. The conduit is held into the U shape with the zip ties. I use some spring clamps to hold it in place until I can get the zip ties secured. I use 4 zip ties on each post. It takes at least two people to put up an arch. The 30 foot section is quite floppy until it is secured. I believe that the conduit has some UV resistance and should not get brittle.
    So you zip tie the conduit to the metal poles you put in the ground? Do you use standard white plumbing PVC or the PVC electrical conduit?

Post Thanks / Like

I helped my brother put his in a few years back at his place. We pounded 1-1/4" pvc into the ground about a 12 - 18 inches. Then used 1" pvc for the arches. The 1" pipe fit inside the 1-1/4" so we weren't having to use other metal poles to hold it up. Each arch went straight up on each side about 5' then used a 45 degree fitting to curve it over the driveway. It looked good and he could still drive 2 cars into his garage. The second year he used some plus shaped fittings right under the 45 and ran some pipe horizontal for added support as he started hanging some heavier garland and lights on them. Hasn't failed yet and he has seen some strong winds as well.
    Last edited by Little_b; 07-02-2018 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little_b View Post
    I helped my brother put his in a few years back at his place. We pounded 1-1/4" pvc into the ground about a 12 - 18 inches. Then used 1" pvc for the arches. The 1" pipe fit inside the 1-1/4" so we weren't having to use other metal poles to hold it up. Each arch went straight up on each side about 5' then used a 45 degree fitting to curve it over the driveway. It looked good and he could still drive 2 cars into his garage. The second year he used some plus shaped fittings right under the 45 and ran some pipe horizontal for added support as he started hanging some heavier garland and lights on them. Hasn't failed yet and he has seen some strong winds as well.
    Thank you! I am wanting to try and build something to where I can still drive in and out of the garage on both sides of the driveway.

Do you know how long his arched piece of PVC was?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    So you zip tie the conduit to the metal poles you put in the ground? Do you use standard white plumbing PVC or the PVC electrical conduit?
    I use PVC electrical conduit because you can put one end right into the next section; no connectors or fasteners required. I use 3 10-foot sections of conduit for one arch. I drive the u-posts into the ground until the "wings" are below ground. This prevents the u-post from twisting. I then put the conduit in the "U" part of the post (picture #1) and secure it with 4 zip ties about 12 inches apart. I use garland velcro to hold the lights on the arch. The velcro is screwed to the conduit (picture #2). the arch is tall enough that I can drive the mini-van under them with no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I use PVC electrical conduit because you can put one end right into the next section; no connectors or fasteners required. I use 3 10-foot sections of conduit for one arch. I drive the u-posts into the ground until the "wings" are below ground. This prevents the u-post from twisting. I then put the conduit in the "U" part of the post (picture #1) and secure it with 4 zip ties about 12 inches apart. I use garland velcro to hold the lights on the arch. The velcro is screwed to the conduit (picture #2). the arch is tall enough that I can drive the mini-van under them with no problems.
    Do you know approximately how high the sides are before they start bending to create the arch?

We have 2 SUVs that I am needing to clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    Do you know approximately how high the sides are before they start bending to create the arch?

We have 2 SUVs that I am needing to clear.
    I think with as cheap as electrical conduit is, 2.50 a stick for 3/4 inch, I would go and buy 3 and see how they fit for your driveway. Not all double driveways are the same width so what works at one persons house may not work at yours. Just my 2c
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast