Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaker Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Breaker Question

Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    Electrical heater plugged into a 15 amp outlet in a home (more than once) that melted the outlet from overdraw. The breaker and wire worked as it should but the outlet could not take the current. Granted this is "stupidity" on the people end of things but it can happen. The outlets were cheap ones and some years ago as well as were installed by the "plug-in" wiring method which I personally disagree with.
    I did electrical fire investigation for some time and saw this.

As I said above, use the NEC and follow codes to make sure things are safe and correct. There will always be a way to get around anything but we can only do the best we can.

I am not trying to start anything just giving my own personal experience with this.
    I suspect the same heather would've melted a 20amp outlet as well. I suppose faulty hardware / old outlets could cause this on any (15,20 amp or whatever) circuit. Today's 15 amp outlets are designed to work safely on 20amp circuits and very commonly installed on 20 amp circuits. Appliances that can pull over 15amps shouldn't even be able to be plugged into a 15 amp receptacle. The plug should have a sideways prong that would match the "fin" on a 20 amp outlet. Any faulty or old appliance could cause problems regardless of the electrical system being hooked up to.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical heater plugged into a 15 amp outlet in a home (more than once) that melted the outlet from overdraw. The breaker and wire worked as it should but the outlet could not take the current. Granted this is "stupidity" on the people end of things but it can happen. The outlets were cheap ones and some years ago as well as were installed by the "plug-in" wiring method which I personally disagree with.
    I did electrical fire investigation for some time and saw this.

As I said above, use the NEC and follow codes to make sure things are safe and correct. There will always be a way to get around anything but we can only do the best we can.

I am not trying to start anything just giving my own personal experience with this.
    I concur with barlav, except the melted receptacle was most likely caused by using the power cord to pull the plug, breaking strands of wire. The broken wires reduces the current caring capacity, eventually turning the plug into a heater and melting the receptacle. The receptacle has the capacity to carry 30A total - Split the tabs and you can have 2- 15A, separately wired outlets.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

So running a single 20 amp breaker with 12/2 to a single 15 amp GFCI outlet is considered a "no no"?

I should run a single 20 amp breaker with 12/2 to a single 20 amp GFCI?
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    So running a single 20 amp breaker with 12/2 to a single 15 amp GFCI outlet is considered a "no no"?
    It a yes/yes, provided it is a DUPLEX - 2 outlet receptacle. I don't know of a single receptacle GFCI. By the way, a 15A GFCI is typically marked 20A on its side or back.

I should run a single 20 amp breaker with 12/2 to a single 20 amp GFCI?
    This is ok but not needed.

nono.JPG
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 06-18-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    It a yes/yes, provided it is a DUPLEX - 2 outlet receptacle.

This is ok but not needed.

nono.JPG

Perfect! Thanks, I always thought duplex meant two sets of two receptacles per box. So a total of 4 plug ins.

My 15 amp GFCI receptacles have two outlets each. So I should be good.

Post Thanks / Like

My 15 amp GFCI receptacles have two outlets each. So I should be good.
    Correct.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

First off, my apologies for things on this thread! I got this mixed in with a few other forum ones currently running and they all kind of mashed together by the time I quit! I guess I may be getting too old to try and keep up with too many things all at once on social media or else I should just keep quiet and not answer things at all. Anyway, my incorrect answers were not intentional.

Mr. Grump is totally correct on the code for this and the use of 15 amp receptacles. I should have said that I would "recommend" using a 20 amp receptacle with 12-2 and a 20 amp breaker instead of my wording.

My "reply" in post 20 was for another forum but the "end result" of investigation on that was found to be a combination of problems but that "answer" was for another forum and irrelevant to this one, so sorry for that.

I did not mean to have this get so convoluted but I can only apologize to all and try harder to keep quiet I guess. Just getting too old to keep up anymore. I will try to not get involved as much or at least with so many different "conversations" in the future if I stick around.

Hope you all have safe and wonderful displays for the upcoming years and again my sincere apology on getting things off track.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, my apologies for things on this thread! I got this mixed in with a few other forum ones currently running and they all kind of mashed together by the time I quit! I guess I may be getting too old to try and keep up with too many things all at once on social media or else I should just keep quiet and not answer things at all. Anyway, my incorrect answers were not intentional.

Mr. Grump is totally correct on the code for this and the use of 15 amp receptacles. I should have said that I would "recommend" using a 20 amp receptacle with 12-2 and a 20 amp breaker instead of my wording.

My "reply" in post 20 was for another forum but the "end result" of investigation on that was found to be a combination of problems but that "answer" was for another forum and irrelevant to this one, so sorry for that.

I did not mean to have this get so convoluted but I can only apologize to all and try harder to keep quiet I guess. Just getting too old to keep up anymore. I will try to not get involved as much or at least with so many different "conversations" in the future if I stick around.

Hope you all have safe and wonderful displays for the upcoming years and again my sincere apology on getting things off track.
    Haha its all good! I was just getting confused reading it all and wanted to clarify. Also since I am not an electrician I dont know the common lingo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123