Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Core Pigtails Wiring Options?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3 Core Pigtails Wiring Options?

Maybe look at SJOOW wire. Also available in 2/3/4 conductor and 18/16/14/12/10/8/6/4/2/1/0 gauges
    Much more flexible than thermoplastic speaker wire. Rated for outdoor and is UV protected.
    This stuff could last you well over 10 years with a 24/7 installation. Seasonal....it'll last forever.

May also consider LV outdoor lighting wire - typically only 2 conductors but you can run 2 sets and get 3 conductors plus an injection lead.
    Not as flexible or as long a life as SJOOW, but you'll get your money's worth and then some.
    In Lights Therapy

2. Thanks Kev7274 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Kev,

What I like about my method is that I can source my pixels through whatever vendor I choose and not worry about if the pigtails are going to be compatible. Then I can use the appropriate AWG wire for any Power Injections that I need to do. The connectors themselves are easy to put together and take apart, even when wearing gloves, and I have had absolutely no issues with the connections and water infiltration. While the connectors in this system are crimp on, I will typically take the time to solder them as well unless I am doing a field fix. The connectors are cheap available year round and as I mentioned in my previous post interchangable from vendor to vendor. I typically will search ebay and see where I can get the best deal on the quantities I need of each variety pin configuration and order from China. It can take about a month, but I usually do this early in the year, so I am not under a time crunch.
    You have a fine plan, if you need changeability. I build elements custom fit, so my connector stays with that elements. If I do decide on a different plan, I replace those parts that need it. Generally, I don't care if my Mega tree pixel connectors match my mini tree connectors or match my garage frame connectors....in fact they don't. I keep spare connectors, and have some connector adapters for that quick change-out. I do like molded connectors, so I always try to get then, and always avoid cutting molded connectors off.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Kev,

What I like about my method is that I can source my pixels through whatever vendor I choose and not worry about if the pigtails are going to be compatible. Then I can use the appropriate AWG wire for any Power Injections that I need to do. The connectors themselves are easy to put together and take apart, even when wearing gloves, and I have had absolutely no issues with the connections and water infiltration. While the connectors in this system are crimp on, I will typically take the time to solder them as well unless I am doing a field fix. The connectors are cheap available year round and as I mentioned in my previous post interchangable from vendor to vendor. I typically will search ebay and see where I can get the best deal on the quantities I need of each variety pin configuration and order from China. It can take about a month, but I usually do this early in the year, so I am not under a time crunch.

Thanks Tom for that explanation,I never thought of it that way.

(1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1) Falcon F16V3
    (1)E682
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)E1.31 Bridge
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels
    (12)ESPixel Sticks (shelby aka sporadic)

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

These are the same connectors that I use for exactly the same reasons.
    I get mine off aliexpress and in some qty are very affordable.
    I too am using speaker wire. I have been purchasing the Monoprice Speaker Wire, it comes in 12,14,16,18 AWG and use AMP Style Connectors, these are available in 1 -6+ pin connectors, and are interchangable from different suppliers. I will pull the 4th wire out of the outer insulation of the 4 conductor wire if I only need 3 wire, or use it for 2 sets of Power Injection. I have found this set up gives me a lot of flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am using speaker wire. I have been purchasing the Monoprice Speaker Wire, it comes in 12,14,16,18 AWG and use AMP Style Connectors, these are available in 1 -6+ pin connectors, and are interchangable from different suppliers. I will pull the 4th wire out of the outer insulation of the 4 conductor wire if I only need 3 wire, or use it for 2 sets of Power Injection. I have found this set up gives me a lot of flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    These are the same connectors that I use for exactly the same reasons.
    I get mine off aliexpress and in some qty are very affordable.

The AMP connector weather protects the individual conductors.....how do you keep the water out of the jacket. When jacketed conductors are used, water can track back to the power supply
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

mrGrumpy,

I have never had that issue, not saying that it can't happen, but it has worked out so far for me. Maybe it is because I am running my PS vertically in an enclosure mounted approx 8" off the ground? Maybe it is because my yard slopes towards the street and the PS and controllers all are on the uphill side of the display? I have never even had any water roll out of my cables when I was putting them away as I would expect to happen if water was tracking back up the jacket.

Good point to consider though,
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

3 year installation and no tracking is a good thing. I've not experienced tracking myself, but have seen results. Jacket are straw for water. Constant temperature isn't an issue, but changing warm to cool acts like a pump to suck that water into the jacket. An unvented cooling power supply, or just the cooling of heavily loaded cable can suck water in.....maybe a little silicone to seal the conductors to the jacket would be a best practice.

I have a few of these connectors, but not used yet. Do you know the DC load rating on them?
    In Lights Therapy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12