Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lags on serial DMX512 Espixelstick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lags on serial DMX512 Espixelstick

Hi,
    I need to connect about 50 espixelsticks to a PI3 running Falcon Player.
    I want to use a UNIFI wireless router; the PI3 will be wired connected to it.
    The maximum distance from the router to the espixelsticks is about 25m (about 82ft) in open space.
    The espixelsticks will run as DMX512 receivers.
    It will be only one DMX512 univers, each espixelstick will output the same DMX512 univers;
    The espixelstick output will send dmx data to a PIC micro wich will decode the data and uses 3 channels.
    This selection will be made from the espixelstick's web settings :
    for the first espixelstick : start channel = 1, channel count = 150,
    for the second espixelstick : start channel = 2, channel count = 150, etc.
    The first PIC micro will use the channels 1, 51 and 101, the second PIC micro will uses channels 2, 52, 102 ... 50, 100, 150.
    I have setup the espixelsticks working in multicast mode.
    I have tested with 3 espixelsticks connected to the router and I have lags after 3-4min of correct working.
    Pls advise if my project is posible to make and how can I eliminate the lags.
    thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: lags on serial DMX512 Espixelstick

sounds like toy know what you are doing soI am just reminding you.
    Did you setup the unifi using recommend settings?
    Since you are in test mode is the unifi at least 3 meters from the esp?
    not related to the lag issue...it would seem that you should setup the pic to use the only channels it sees (1,2, and 3). they should be grouped by pic and then you can use the esp web interface to choose start channel and length. much easier to manage and setup.
    did you define any other controllers to fpp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    sounds like toy know what you are doing soI am just reminding you.
    Did you setup the unifi using recommend settings?
    Since you are in test mode is the unifi at least 3 meters from the esp?
    not related to the lag issue...it would seem that you should setup the pic to use the only channels it sees (1,2, and 3). they should be grouped by pic and then you can use the esp web interface to choose start channel and length. much easier to manage and setup.
    did you define any other controllers to fpp?
    Hello Mike,
    thank you for your reply.
    For now I am using a TP-LINK router.
    I did not know about the minimum distance from router to wireless client; is this a must for all the routers or only for the UNIFI ?
    for the PIC section, is the exact way I have done, the PIC receives the full univers and selects the channels 1, 51 and 101; in the espixelstick's web settings I set the first channel to see. This is working ok.
    I try all the 3 firmware released by Shelby (Forkineye).
    The 2.0 version works better then the 3.x versions.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laurtib View Post
    Hello Mike,
    thank you for your reply.
    For now I am using a TP-LINK router.
    I did not know about the minimum distance from router to wireless client; is this a must for all the routers or only for the UNIFI ?
    for the PIC section, is the exact way I have done, the PIC receives the full univers and selects the channels 1, 51 and 101; in the espixelstick's web settings I set the first channel to see. This is working ok.
    I try all the 3 firmware released by Shelby (Forkineye).
    The 2.0 version works better then the 3.x versions.
    thanks
    Why channels 1, 51, 101 these are not sequential, it would be better to use 1, 2, 3 for the 1st ESP, set the ESP to start channel 1 for 3 channels. Then the 2nd, 4, 5, 6 setting the ESP to start channel 4 for 3 channels and so forth, the last ESP, # 50 would be start channel 148 for 3 channels so 148,149,150
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

When a radio receiver is too close to a radio transmitter, the receiver gets swamped and cannot extract meaningful data from the radio. The minimum distance depends on the transmitter settings and the antenna gain. There is no "It must be N feet apart" rule. It will be different for every combination of transmitters and receivers. A good rule of thumb is "At least 10 feet" but even that will have exceptions.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

what software are you running on the esp?

Post Thanks / Like

about the FPP, for now I am testing using XLights runing on windows10 PC wich is wired connected to the router.

Post Thanks / Like

The minimum distance is just a guideline that helped some people.
    As far as you know, does the tplink handle multicast correctly?
    you have three devices and six possible reasons for lag. ping the devices while they are 0playing sequence and see if you can narrow it down.

Post Thanks / Like

you have three devices and six possible reasons for lag. ping the devices while they are 0playing sequence and see if you can narrow it down.
    thank you Mike.
    Meantime I start some tests : when the espixelstick starts having lags, I want to see wich device generate it.
    1. I restart the computer and let the router and esp running : after I restart the XLights, the lags are still there,
    2. reset the router : the lags are still there
    3. reset the ESP : the lags gone for a few minutes.
    So, the lags are generated by the ESP.
    It seems that the ESP is not able to manage in real time the E1.31 data received.
    Even more, during the period when the lags exists, I changed the firmware using OTA from the web settings menu and, after the ESP rejoined the wifi network, the lags are still there.
    From now on, I can not explain where is the problem...
    Pls advise.
    Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to check on the tplink, if it has a setting for "Enhanced Multicast" turn it off, we found that was causing lag in the Unifi APs. If you are using true multicast you will not see lag, there is no check to verify the packet was received, as in Unicast, it is sent and forgotten, if the packet was not received it will just be skipped and the next one that is received will be processed, no lag, but possible jerky effects. Enhanced Multicast adds that packet checking back in so you can develop lag. In the ESP interface, are there any packet errors?
    Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast