Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Question......(Unsure what sub forum this should go with)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer Question......(Unsure what sub forum this should go with)

In general (regardless of your software) do you do your editing on one computer and then copy the final completed files over to a show computer? Or do you use one for both?

Currently I use my main desktop to do all the editing and running the show. However, this computer is also the one I use to play games, surf the web, run my very small etsy shop, etc.

I am considering buying a lower end i3 or i5 laptop to have exclusively run my show and have it set up in the garage. Just curious about everyone else's setups.

Would the movement of files cause issues? Obviously I would move the files from one computer to another and then properly test them before putting the show in a live mode.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Computer Question......(Unsure what sub forum this should go with)

That would work fine, or you could get a Pi, export the sequences to fseq files, and use it to run the show. $35 vs few $100
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my work on my main desktop and transfer everything to my laptop and that runs the show
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

If LOR can export to fseq, then I fully agree with Matt. And still going on is the FREE Pi3B+ and Free Shipping at Arrow Electronics - If you spend $50 - so maybe a few extra Mean Well power supplies to get a free Pi.

freePix.jpg
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 06-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Sequence on three different computers. Show plays on RPI running FPP software (actually there are 3 RPIs in the show).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Sequence on my main desktop, run on Pi. Done that for the last 4 years. Works great.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    That would work fine, or you could get a Pi, export the sequences to fseq files, and use it to run the show. $35 vs few $100
    While this is true, I like the idea of being able to do on demand editing or trouble shooting rather than have to do it on my main computer then upload the files over to the Pi.

The i3 laptop I am looking at is only $200 so it isnt that bad and should last me for at least 5-8 seasons.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on this idea, it's what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    If LOR can export to fseq, then I fully agree with Matt. And still going on is the FREE Pi3B+ and Free Shipping at Arrow Electronics - If you spend $50 - so maybe a few extra Mean Well power supplies to get a free Pi.

freePix.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sequence on one of three computers (depending on what I am doing other than sequencing), then transfer the .fseq to a RPi running FPP. This year we are also going to back that up with a lower end laptop running xSchedule. (This last part may change depending on how well things work.)
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    While this is true, I like the idea of being able to do on demand editing or trouble shooting rather than have to do it on my main computer then upload the files over to the Pi.

The i3 laptop I am looking at is only $200 so it isnt that bad and should last me for at least 5-8 seasons.
    The number of times I have done on-demand editing is zero.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast