Thread: Defusers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Defusers

I am working on making a few coro-tombstone props with family member nicknames on them, and what I want to do is cut out the names in the stones and light up behind the cut-out letters, but could use some advice or recommendations on what to use as a light defuser. Letters will be about 3"x3"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Defusers

what is the distance from light source to letter? what is the source of the light?
    My initial thought is that no diffusion is needed. just dim the light low and spooky.
    In the sign area of the hardware store, they have a white plastic sign. You should be able to find one that is mostly clear of printing. Or head over to the light section and look for a panel diffuser.
    also assuming you are issuing black coro, white coro is a pretty good diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to ebay. Enter "translucent plastic sheet".

There are many types and translucency levels. Thicker are less, thinner more. Unfortunately you have to experiment a bit.

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

4. Thanks tecnageek thanked for this post
    Likes tecnageek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MikeKrebs and Jimboa, great suggestions. To MikeKrebs , I will be using ws2811 bullets for the outline of the stones that are indeed caro. I will likley need to make-shift some sort of small box to house the lights that will be behind the lettering, and will use ether ws2811 bullets, or ws2812b strips. Depending on what works with what I cobble together.

Post Thanks / Like

I use white coro for my tune in signs with an old led rope light inside. My signs, I think, are 24" x 18" x 4". I had a local sign shop print them so the letters are white (blank white coro) and the rest is black.

7. Thanks tecnageek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't "cut out" the letters, only remove the back layer and flutes, leaving the front layer as your diffusing material, assuming white coro. can paint the rest for a better look in the daylight,
    Matt

9. Likes tecnageek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the translucent film in my Tune-to sign. Here are some photos of the incomplete sign.
    IMAG4055.jpg . . .IMAG4056.jpg

Note that I used a black vinyl cut of (reverse) of the 7-segment digits in a 188.8 format. I use black electrical tape to block out the various segments to leave the desired frequency. This results ins a transflective display. Trans-flective means trans-parent + re-flective. This makes it visible in the daytime as white characters, and at night with the colors from the LEDs behind.

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

11. Likes tecnageek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently using black coro, but will attempt a test with white. Excellent idea.

Post Thanks / Like

you could use the white coro and paint it. It works pretty good for us. Only using LED on these, but RGB should work too. The LED's are stuck into the back panel pointing toward the front.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ombstone+names
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png