Thread: Group layers help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Group layers help?

Hello all,

I am new to xlights, but have been using videos pretty effectively for the last 2 months or so to get a jump on all my programming for this year.

I tend to use groups a LOT to help me apply effects to large portions of the house. However, I have stumbled into a very particular issue that I will try to explain the best I can.

I started by setting up an "everything" group, then there are a bunch of sub-groups underneath of it that get progressively smaller. For example, the three largest groups are "everything", "everythingbutmegatree" or EBMT for short, and MT (Megatree). This lets me apply large effects to the megatree separately from the rest of the house very quickly. However, what I have realized is that I cannot seem to transition directly to an "everything" effect that blends over top of either of the other 2 groups? If I apply the effect I want on everything to BOTH the ebmt and mt group i indeed get the look i desire.

While using this extreme example seems simple enough... when u multiply this over many many smaller sub-groups, it has put me in a real bind for programming in this manner.

My sense is that there is something i need to do in either layer blending or layer settings? But, i find both of those areas to be very confusing, and i have watched several videos on the topic but have not been able to find a solution so far? Can anyone point me in the right direction of things to try? Is there somewhere I can explicitly force the layers of groups?

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Group layers help?

While xLights allows you to group groups within groups it is actually an uncommon thing for users to do. Most people just create the groups and sequence them directly.

There are couple of things to consider here.

Do you have the model blending option (sequence settings) turned on or off. If off then a model/groups effects wont blend with affects on another group that happen to contain the same models. The last will win out. If it is on then the effects will blend together. This is a sequence wide setting.

The other thing to consider is the order in the master view.

Models render top to bottom in the master view. If a model/group is covered by more than one entry then the effect placed on the bottom most in the master view will be the one rendered on top.

This is one of the reasons why people tend to not just create a big group of groups as it can be more limiting in ordering the models to get the desired render output.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah HAH!!!!!!!!!!

THIS sentence is gold! "Models render top to bottom in the master view. If a model/group is covered by more than one entry then the effect placed on the bottom most in the master view will be the one rendered on top."

I kept trying to put it ABOVE it. As soon as I moved it below... everything is how i want it. I find using groups a VERY powerful way to program. For anyone curious... Here's a link to an exported preview of my progress. Several little bugs to fix, and not finished yet. But, I'm having a blast. https://youtu.be/SFn1rPr2vN8

Thanks much for your help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job. I need to get serious with xlights to up my game. Thanks for the motivation to get similar results.