Thread: Can I run ESPixelStick firmware on a nodemcu v3 with no extra hardware

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I run ESPixelStick firmware on a nodemcu v3 with no extra hardware

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to install and run the ESPixelStick firmware on a nodemcu v3 without any extra hardware. I'm looking to control ws2812b's & ws2811's via vixen running on a local network computer.

Is anybody currently using a nodemcu running ESPixelStick to confirm wherever or not this is possible and if so how many pixels can you drive from a single nodemcu?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I run ESPixelStick firmware on a nodemcu v3 with no extra hardware

Yes you can, at least... I can. I went as far as 600 pixels, it worked just fine. I used regular pixelstick firmware from Forkineye. I also used a wemos/nodemcu mini

Here you can see how I did it on a nodemcu/mini: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...714#post471714
    Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I run ESPixelStick firmware on a nodemcu v3 with no extra hardware

Awesome thanks I'll check the thread out, just a few more questions what refresh rate did you get to with 600 pixels and can you you configure what data pin is used, does it have to be 4?

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this as well, works great. The best part is you can get these on ebay for around $2.50 each when you order in sufficient quantities and use ebay's 20% off $75 coupon. Ebay only offer this every few months, so you need to be on the lookout for it. I've built controllers with dupont cables, wire nuts, and inline fuses for under $4 and it works great, no soldering and it can be built in 10 minutes. It's definitely not pretty but it functions just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uskompuf View Post
    Awesome thanks I'll check the thread out, just a few more questions what refresh rate did you get to with 600 pixels and can you you configure what data pin is used, does it have to be 4?
    Refreshrate I don't know anymore. You can configure what data pin is used, but then you have to build the pixelstick from source, which is a little PITA....; many requirements. I once changed something in the code (at that time you could not change universe size from the webpage), i then "rebuilt" the installer because I had to install >30 espixelsticks. The "installer" works far easier than flashing through the arduino IDE.
    Errors for fun only.