Thread: DIY Singing Faces more questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Singing Faces more questions

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread, so I started this one.

I have questions:

Each singing bulb has 193 nodes. I have 4 singing bulbs on a 4 X 8 sheet of coro. From what I understand I can have 170 nodes (max) on each universe of my E682. So I am not sure what the best way to wire them up.

I am coming to understand that I should not max each universe. So, what is a good amount 150 nodes per?? I am also not sure how to map out the nodes if I "cross populate" the singing bulbs?

I am curious how others are doing this.

Thanx in advance

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY Singing Faces more questions

You are confusing delivery (universes) and media (ports). You need to look up the maximum number of pixels each port on your controller will support. Then you need to decide the refresh rate of your show. A 25ms refresh rate results in a max string length of just over 600 pixels. As for delivery, it takes 1800 channels (bytes) to run 600 pixels. An E1.31 universe has 512 channels 1800 / 512 = 4 universes to fill a 600 pixel port. 512 channels does not fit well in a pixel count. 170 pixels use 510 channels. This is where the 170 pixels per universe limit comes from. However, not all controllers loose those last two channels.

The general rule would not be "Don't use the whole universe", it is "You may not want to completely fill a port". From a network efficiency point of view, you DO want to fill a universe.

In my show I use three F16 boards, 41 universes, almost all of them are full, aka 512 channels per universe. The controller then distributes the channels to my ports independently of the universe boundaries.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, yes. I re-read the 682 operating manual this morning. Yes, it says 170 pixels per universe. But I don't know how many pixels, or universes per string (taking out the need to power inject the pixels) The only other thing I can find is if I go to more than 1190 pixels, I need to use the unicast over the multicast system.

I did a search on this forum, and others, and am about as lost as when I started. I found this thread:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...t=e682+strings

One guys says 170 pixels per string, 16 strings , another says up to 999 pixels per string, but a max of 2040 pixels.

So, assuming that it is more likely the 999 pixels, it seems like a big waste to only hook up 193 pixels to a string.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm asking the questions wrong.

I have 4 singing face light bulbs I am at work right now, and don't remember the exact number of pixels per but this will be close:

50 pixels for the screw base

50 pixels for the bulb

52 bulbs for the mouth

41 pixels for the eyes.

How should I wire this all up?? Please be specific.

Thanks
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

As Martin said, I think you are getting the nomenclature mixed up. There are ports (physical outputs), Universes (limited to 512 channels, but 510 is divisible by three), pixels (an RGB node or RGB LED), and channels (3 channels per RGB node). So each universe could have 170 pixels (510 channels). I have never gone over 100 pixels per port (12v) because I don't want to power inject. Each controller is different, but the e682 manual states that in Unicast mode, you can get "up to 12 universes or 6,120 channels." That equates to 170 pixels or 510 channels per port. How you hook up your pixels is up to you. Depending on where you bought your singing bulbs, there may be a layout or model of how the wiring is laid out.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

You can wire them anyway you want. The limits in this case are imposed by the capacity of the pixels and the refresh rate you want. A single port at 35 ms (40 frames per second) can handle up to 600 (more like 630 but math gets icky). A 50 ms (20 frames per second) refresh rate gives you 1200 pixels per port (if the controller can do that many). You will map a set of universes to your port. then you will map your channels to the universes and on the sequencer you will map your elements to channels.

If you need specifics, output of controller to input of base 1, output of base 1 to mouth 1, output mouth 1 to eyes 1, output eyes 1 to outline 1, output outline one to base 2 etc.

Inject power at base-to-mouth, mouth-to-eyes, eyes-to-outline, outline-to-next bulb.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.