Thread: Arduino wiring for 12v pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arduino wiring for 12v pixels

I am just starting to play with pixels. Last year I had all dumb leds running from an Arduino controlling 32 SSRs. Fun, but pixels look too cool to pass up.

I have a set of 50 12v pixel bulbs, which have three wire (12v, DI, gnd). I assume DI means data in, which means that is the front end of the string. I have a 360w 12v power supply with +12v, -12v, AC line, AC Neutral, and gnd. I power the arduino with its own 5v supply. Using a sample sketch from FastLED library, I assign data to pin 6, and connect it to the DI wire of the first bulb. +12v from power supply goes to 12v wire.

Now the part I am unclear about. Since it says gnd on the bulb, do I connect that to gnd on the power supply? Or to -12v on the power supply?
    What do I connect the gnd to on the Arduino?

The SSRs were so simple, all the AC stayed on one side, and all the 5v DC stayed on the other. Now I have to deal with both 12v and 5v DC.

While a generic Arduino Mega is pretty cheap, I would like to make sure I don't fry it, or my new pixels. So Any help explaining this in such a way that I not only know how to connect it, but also no why to connect it that way, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arduino wiring for 12v pixels

Hi, connect all low voltage GROUNDS together. In this case there will be:
    5V power supply Ground, 12V power supply Ground, pixel string Ground, Arduino Ground.

Other than that it is as you expect, the Arduino +5V goes to the +5V power supply, the pixel +12V goes to the +12V power supply and Arduino pin 6 (or whichever you are using) goes to the pixel string DI.

Don't hot swap any parts (turn all power off) the pixels don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 12v power supply ground the -12v terminal on the power supply?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, can you link your supply please.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, the three terminals ladled V- are the same as Ground for the 12V outputs. So from left to right:

The voltage adjusting screw - Always worth checking the output with a meter when you first receive a supply as they are not always set in the factory. Set this to 12.0V if you have any problems with the pixels glowing very slightly red when they are supposed to be off, drop this down to 11.9V.

3 x 12V positive outputs.

3 x 12V negative, more commonly referred to as Ground on these forums.

AC Ground – this is for your AC ground wire if you have one. This should not be confused with the DC Ground and I can’t think of a reason you would ever connect the two together.

AC Neutral.

AC Live, Line or Hot depending on where on the planet you are.

Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! At least I won't fry anything now. Glad you said something about checking the voltage. It was 12.78 as shipped.