Thread: New House, Need a window frame recommendation for ws2811 square pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default New House, Need a window frame recommendation for ws2811 square pixels

Settling into the new house, time to get modifications underway to fit the pixels to the new layout.

my old window frames allowed for some modified transition trim vinyl siding to hang over the frame..

new house has inset aluminum frame with brick exterior.

Suggestions on how to build the new window frames?

I'm not keen on drilling into brick or aluminum so my initial thoughts are friction fit frames....

20180516_100917.jpg20180516_100949.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New House, Need a window frame recommendation for ws2811 square pixels

I agree with your statement of "friction fit frames." How about tension rods?
    "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"
    Capt Tagert - Galaxy Quest.
    Al Gerdes - Christmas Lighting Nut!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New House, Need a window frame recommendation for ws2811 square pixels

Industrial velcro can help. You might also have luck with epoxying steel washers into the striations in the brick. Looks like a thin washer would fit and you could run a zip tie through the hole.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The store were you can find blinky-flashy gizmos that you never knew existed!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the suggestions

I'm exploring the friction fit method first, how would you use tension rods? full height inside the vertical frame or 45degree corner braces?
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using friction fit frame for the last 2 years with out any issue. If you do elect to do friction fit and have more then 1 of the same size windows make sure you mark/label which window the frame belongs to. I have 7 windows the same size but not EXACTLY the same size.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this may seem a bit odd, but what about using a shower rod (adjustable type that uses friction and rubber end stops) at top and bottom and Boscoyo strips. Would make it very easy to remove and can just roll it up for storage. Would be relatively cheap as well.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Consider drilling two small holes into the brick, halfway up each window, one on each side. You can epoxy eyehooks (painted brown/red to match) into the holes and then use zipties to lock tight fitting frames into place.

I've used that method at two houses now and it works perfectly. Very unobtrusive and almost invisible unless you're right up close. My frames are made out of 3/4" PVC pipe, painted to match my window frame color.

Post Thanks / Like

1st Choice - Friction Fit - they make a curtain rod that is a spring loaded inside mount if you need extra stability. You could attach one to the top & bottom of a PVC frame if needed.

2nd Choice - Install some sort of mount at top & bottom outside, drill in to the mortar and seal with clear caulk.