Thread: looking for a tutor

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for a tutor

I am new to this hobby. I've done a lot of reading, but really it's just making my head swim. I am looking for someone who can guild me through the basics, like "why wouldn't you just make every universe the max size?" so I can hopefully get something up and running by christmas.

Thanks
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: looking for a tutor

Consider posting your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm moving to Pixels this year after 2 years of AC lighting. What I have found is that you have access to a large number of tutors right here. You just have to read what they have posted. Also, you can get started playing for less than $100 and expand from there. $20 espixel stick from Amazon, $35 Rasperry PI, $15 ribbon strip from Ebay. This will introduce you to a lot of the concepts needed for a show. When you get the Pi going, get the stick connected and see the test patterns from the Pi on the ribbons you will have an enormous sense of accomplishment. Once you get that done you can expand into sequencing. Whichever program you decide to use is supported endlessly here and other places. Make a simple line in the sequence and add some chases, fades and other effects and watch your $15 ribbon flash. Again, major smile and happiness. Then you can figure out how much you can afford, physically manage or just want to do the first year.

Just my opinion but the tinkering and trouble shooting and DIY part is the fun part for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I am new to this hobby. I've done a lot of reading, but really it's just making my head swim. I am looking for someone who can guild me through the basics, like "why wouldn't you just make every universe the max size?" so I can hopefully get something up and running by christmas.

Thanks
    Ray
    Hey Ray,

I wouldn’t worry about universes and get spun around with that at the beginning. I think the plan of what you want to do on your house is good start. Based on that you can start determining pixels, controllers, etc. What are the plans for the show?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keithsw1111 View Post
    Consider posting your location.

I live in kamloops B.C. canada

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven’t found it yet check out videos.xlights.org and in particular the xessentials series of videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broomy111 View Post
    Hey Ray,

I wouldn’t worry about universes and get spun around with that at the beginning. I think the plan of what you want to do on your house is good start. Based on that you can start determining pixels, controllers, etc. What are the plans for the show?

I started picking up stuff, pixels, 2 682's kits (soldered them up over winter) power supplies, cases, pigtails etc, last year. I did a "beginners" layout of my house in Vixen 3, although I can't figure out how to draw the singing light bulbs in there. So I know what I think I want for a display. Although I have no misconceptions that I am going to get it all done for this year. I was hoping to get something going for last year, but just ran outta time. I started making a singing light bulb display last year, and cut the holes in the coro with my CNC. That's as far as I got. This year, I really want o have something going. And started putting nodes in the coro this morning, then realized, I have no idea how many to wire together, part of a face, one whole bulb (around 200 nodes) 2 bulbs, all four bulbs???

Where I am having my issues (well, I have many issues.....) is I am not sure how to wire the faces because I don't understand how the universes work, thus how many of what to put together. I realize that maybe the bulb faces was an ambitious project to start with, but I thought if nothing else, it could be a stand alone display, if I got nothing else finished.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keithsw1111 View Post
    If you haven’t found it yet check out videos.xlights.org and in particular the xessentials series of videos.

Again, because I am new, I have no allegiance to vixen, other than I have started in it. i have watched a good series from the folks in Australia and their 2017 rally. I will look at these as well, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Again, because I am new, I have no allegiance to vixen, other than I have started in it. i have watched a good series from the folks in Australia and their 2017 rally. I will look at these as well, thanks
    A lot of the videos there are not xLights specific. It is a huge collection of lighting related videos.