Thread: Tory Street Lights Nelson NZ, - Display Walk-Through and Description - 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tory Street Lights Nelson NZ, - Display Walk-Through and Description - 2017

Someone asked me if I had made a walk-through/description of our display, so here is one, for what it is worth. I had some time while on holiday to piece one together, so I trust it makes sense, I will try and answer any questions that may arise :-( Apologies for the audio track, I am not a trained script-reader or writer :-(

You should find the video on my channel and at :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvi_57YZhZE

Cheers,

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

2. Thanks Airwolf16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tory Street Lights Nelson NZ, - Display Walk-Through and Description - 2017

Terrific job, Terry -- and so informative. It's just wonderful to see the creativity you've put into your show, not to mention the extreme scope! Fantastic!

I wish more DIY'ers would take the time to do a walk-thru of their displays. One can learn so much from watching them. I've made 3 or 4 of them over the years and it's not hard to do -- you just have to take 10-15 minutes to do it. After you do it and watch it yourself, it will probably help you think of other ways to accomplish things easier or more quickly next time, so you yourself will benefit from it.

Thanks again, Terry. Great job!!!

-dave

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tory Street Lights Nelson NZ, - Display Walk-Through and Description - 2017

Wow that’s awesome. Thanks for posting all those good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the mix of Single channel control and Pixels. After looking at your wiring, I am SOOOO glad I opted to move to primarily pixel based props. My display had gotten to 70+ channels when I switched. I was afraid of getting to the point where I had to give up my lounge.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments, I realise the way I implement my display is not the way most folk operate, but I had access to the hardware for minimal cost, so I ran with it, and it works for me! The Video is certainly not an in-depth look at the display, but should give an idea of how it is all tied together, I know some things were just skimmed over and could have been covered a lot better. I have a "How To" covering the construction of the Singing Christmas Balls setup in the video editor at present, but this may take a while to complete due to other project deadlines - and this years display preparation, so watch this space !!

Terry
    [B]"Tory Street Lights", Nelson, NZ[/B]
    [B]2013 - "Honourable Mention"[/B] - 2013 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2013 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 650 Channels, 45,000+ lights. 7,000 or so LED's this year:-)
    ----------------------------------------------
    [B]"Lucky Home" [/B]- 2012 Local Christmas Lighting Competition
    [B]2012 :-[/B] 11 x Ren 64XC's - 550 Channels, 40,000+ lights. 2,500 or so LED's for the first time :-)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [B]2011:-[/B] 7 x Ren 64XC's - 384 Channels, 30,000+ lights - all incandescents! 2 x Commercial LED Panels (72x7)!
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]"Supreme Winner for 2010" [/B]Local Christmas Lighting Competition, 4 x Ren 64's - 256 Channels Controlled by Vixen - "Brilliant" :-)
    18,000 to 20,000 Lights - all incandescents! 2 x LedTricks Panels with "Pix C" interface's
    [B]2009:- [/B]128 Channels of "Hill 320", 4,000 Lights

7. Likes Airwolf16 liked this post