Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enttec Open DMX Dongle Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Enttec Open DMX Dongle Replacement

I have been using the enttec open DMX dongle for many years (a decade?) without any problems to run my small display. This past year I seemed to notice some hiccups in my show and I am wondering if it is the Dongle which I remember when i bought it people warned me about it. Doing a quick search on this forum, the Holidaycoro actidongle seems like a cheap replacement. Will it be better than my open dongle?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Enttec Open DMX Dongle Replacement

I have the actidongle from Holiday coro haven't had any problems with it running my 2 27ch dmx boards
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

open DMX has your computer doing a lot of the work. It may simply be a change in your PC.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. Will the actidongle offload my old laptop? Does it do more than the open DMX?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    Will the actidongle offload my old laptop? Does it do more than the open DMX?
    The "workload" for the OpenDMX dongle is nominal for a computer, what problems are you having?
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll just notice that the lights will flicker off for a millisecond when they were supposed to be on. I'm using an old, slow laptop. When I bought the open DMX dongle, I remember people warning me that there might be issues. I'd like to invest in something better. Is the actidongle better?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any pixel controllers? Many of them will output dmx for you. This would eliminate the dongle entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe consider going wireless.... then use an ESP-RS-485/DMX module for the controller...

esp-rs485.jpg

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    I'll just notice that the lights will flicker off for a millisecond when they were supposed to be on. I'm using an old, slow laptop. When I bought the open DMX dongle, I remember people warning me that there might be issues. I'd like to invest in something better. Is the actidongle better?
    That is fine that you want to change dongles but I'm concerned that it may not resolve your issues. I'm the one who originally got the Open to work on Vixen and I suspect it's not the PC but rather something in the way the show is wired. For example an unterminated line or a cable type issue. If you have issues later on let us/me know.
    DMX, RDM, ArtNet, sACN, and RDMnet...the future of DIY Christmas.
    Designer of the PropController an open source single-board hardware platform designed for lighting and prop control.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses. The way everything is set up going wireless or using the Pixel controller won't work. Thanks for the suggestions though.

My laptop is really giving me problems. I was planning to upgrade it this summer. I read so many concerns about the open dongle before I bought it, so I am a bit surprised you are saying that maybe I should stick with it. But you sound like the expert and you have always been great answering my questions in the past. So maybe I will stick with it. If it has problems during halloween, I can replace it for Xmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast