Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to Subnet setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help to Subnet setup

In the AusChristmasLightning 101 guide I found the following statement: "If sharing your connection with your home network/internet, then the using a separate subnet
    address range is recommended.". I find this interesting as I allready in my first DIY christmas saw some issues on my network which frustrated my familiy. Could someone share some experience on this. This year I have 6 SAN Controllers all have the IP adress 192.168.206-211. My Falcon player got the adresess 192.168.1.205. All my controllers have the subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, and so do the Falcon player. So what should I do to "isolate" my christimas setup in a subnet so it will not interfer so much with other network traffic in my household?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help to Subnet setup

I have a second wireless/wired network that I put out in the yard. Then I just use a wireless USB adapter in my Windows PC to connect to my show network when I need to manage it. My FPP is wired to the router in the yard which of course gives it wireless too. Plus I connect the FPP to my home network with WiFi so it has Internet for NTP and for me to access it as well if I want. Just pick a different WiFi channel and number the network out in the yard something different that what you use for your home network of course.

Then there is not extra traffic on your network or in the "air". Also for your WiFi it's best to pick either 1, 6 or 11 as those channels don't overlap. That's just a general best thing to try and do all around with WiFi.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

You want your show to be running on separate hardware. This means switches and routers that do not also support your house traffic. You also want your show to be able to access the internet for time information. In addition you want to be able to access the show network to allow you to update the show or the equipment. There are many ways to do this. One way is to create a subnet within your network. For a novice, this can get complicated quickly and if the subnet share the same hardware as the primary net, you have not accomplished anything.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I HIGHLY recommend getting a Raspberry Pi and use FPP to run your show. There are excellent training resources on setting the FPP up as a separate network, and even using it to bridge to your home network.

There is a great video on YouTube on Networking
    Last edited by TomL8345; 05-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

Subnetting is great for separating different groups of devices (computers, printers, etc.) so that they don't see each other, or what I think is a better way to see it... they only see what they need to see to do their function. Unfortunately, the same amount of physical traffic is present on the wiring that connects the different switches and devices.

Note that this also applies to virtual LANs. Though the switches present each VL as if it is its own entity, ALL traffic from each LAN is transmitted down the same wire. In both cases (Subnets or VLANs), high traffic amounts will cause the others to slow down. (This is from my "lessons learned" file.)

To use a totally separate physical network, with the only connection between being through a router gives you the advantage of the only traffic that is on either network is for that network. If information is needed from one network to the other, the router will pass only that traffic between.

E1.31 as used in a show environment is a very heavy traffic load. There are ways to lessen it, but it takes a lot of planning and additional hardware (such as multiple FpPs, etc.). Small shows can get away with sharing the same LAN, sometimes.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I do have a Raspberry Pi with FPP to run my shown. I have seen the video and it looks very interesting. As controllers I am using Sandevices E682. Looking into the manual and the UI interface I do not think it is possible to create a Gateway so communication from controller back to the pc will require I plug my pc into the lightshow network. Any other way to solve this?. One of my concerns is that when testing after setting up the lightshow it is easy to use my phone to test the separate controllers and as I see this then this option will not be possible?

Post Thanks / Like

The FPP software lets you use the PI as a bridge. Here is an example:

Set up the PI to connect to your home network via a wireless connection.
    Configure the PI to bridge between its wireless network and its wired (CAT5) network interfaces.
    Configure the PI to only send show data to the CAT5 interface.
    Connect an ethernet switch / hub to the CAT5 connector on your PI.
    Connect your E1.31 based controllers to the ethernet switch.

You should now be able to access your controllers through the PI. You can also add an additional Wireless AP to the show network so you can use devices like the ESPixelStick etc.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The FPP software lets you use the PI as a bridge. Here is an example:

Set up the PI to connect to your home network via a wireless connection.
    Configure the PI to bridge between its wireless network and its wired (CAT5) network interfaces.
    Configure the PI to only send show data to the CAT5 interface.
    Connect an ethernet switch / hub to the CAT5 connector on your PI.
    Connect your E1.31 based controllers to the ethernet switch.

You should now be able to access your controllers through the PI. You can also add an additional Wireless AP to the show network so you can use devices like the ESPixelStick etc.
    You also need to set the controller’s gateway to the eth0 address on the Pi so data can find its way back to your browser.

You might also need to set up a network route on your computer to get to the show net.

https://youtu.be/-ZJTFUotqTs

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah just saw the part about the 682. You can try it, but it may not work.

In that case, plugging into your show network is the easiest option (you'll also need a manual IP address on your computer for that network). If all the equipment is outside, you could run a long ethernet cable to your garage or somewhere indoors to allow you to plug the computer in if needed.

I don't usually tinker with stuff requiring that level of connection once it's set up. During setup, I'm usually plugged directly in because it's faster to be right there if I need to change something. Of course, it's not below zero and 50mph winds here during setup so your location may require different methods. lol

You could also create a short test sequence to test your display and have that on the Pi. You probably wouldn't use it for setup, but just peace of mind to know everything is still connected and working properly. That is what I use as a test I can run from my phone. If there is a problem, then the laptop comes out to the display.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems as this solution is not possible when you are using Sandevices E682 controllers. They can´t configure a gateway so when I run my show I can start the show but then the controllers doesn´t receive new packages and therefore the pixels freezes after the the first receive of data. If I open the routing on the FFP and run the show from Vixen then it works. I guess that the controllers only can report back to devices on the default network or something like this. Anyone made this solution work with E682 controllers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast