Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help to Subnet setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help to Subnet setup

I think I need to go for your solution as I canīt make it work using the FPP as a subnet router. I have one IP address getting into my house from my supplier of internet. Do I then connect this line to a hub and then connect my two routers to that hub. Will that work or how do you do your configuration?

Post Thanks / Like

My solution for organizing my network was to keep my show devices on a different IP range but accessible by my main PC and show computer.

I use a dedicated AP for my show with an IP of 192.168.2.1 and a subnet of 255.255.252.0. All controllers run in the 192.168.2.X range and share the same subnet as the AP.

My regular home network is set for the 192.168.1.X range and uses a subnet of 255.255.255.0. My show PC and sequencing PC run in that IP range but use the 255.255.252.0 subnet so that they can see the controllers and vice-versa.

I have to make sure manually assign IPs but combined with 100% Unicast, I never had network issues and can easily keep things organized.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by larsande View Post
    I think I need to go for your solution as I canīt make it work using the FPP as a subnet router. I have one IP address getting into my house from my supplier of internet. Do I then connect this line to a hub and then connect my two routers to that hub. Will that work or how do you do your configuration?
    You don't have to have the 2nd router connected to anything for internet access if it is just for running your show, but you can just to connect the "Internet" port of the 2nd to any LAN port on your home router and that will provide the internet access through your home network but keep the show traffic on its router. You will need to make sure the 2nd router has a different subnet than your home network
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amps View Post
    My solution for organizing my network was to keep my show devices on a different IP range but accessible by my main PC and show computer.

I use a dedicated AP for my show with an IP of 192.168.2.1 and a subnet of 255.255.252.0. All controllers run in the 192.168.2.X range and share the same subnet as the AP.
    My regular home network is set for the 192.168.1.X range and uses a subnet of 255.255.255.0. My show PC and sequencing PC run in that IP range but use the 255.255.252.0 subnet so that they can see the controllers and vice-versa.
    I have to make sure manually assign IPs but combined with 100% Unicast, I never had network issues and can easily keep things organized.
    This is a nice trick to keep your controllers isolated from the internet, but the two subnets are still sharing the same bandwidth. Heavy traffic on one can still impact the other. Subnetting on the same LAN (i.e. multiple Layer-3 subnets on the same Layer-2 network) does not isolate bandwidth. It's not a bad idea for certain types of isolation, but it may not accomplish what the OP wants to do, which I think is to isolate the bandwidth.

Last edited by pixelpuppy; 06-01-2018 at 02:58 PM.

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help to Subnet setup

Quote Originally Posted by larsande View Post
    Seems as this solution is not possible when you are using Sandevices E682 controllers. They canīt configure a gateway so when I run my show I can start the show but then the controllers doesnīt receive new packages and therefore the pixels freezes after the the first receive of data. If I open the routing on the FFP and run the show from Vixen then it works. I guess that the controllers only can report back to devices on the default network or something like this. Anyone made this solution work with E682 controllers?
    I have a e682 and bridging through the pi works for me. Everything show related is on the pi Ethernet side. And my home network is on the pi WiFi. My home router is setup to route requests for the show network addresses through the pi’s WAN address. I just have to remember to enable the bridge on the FPP networking page when I need to access a controller.

Edit: I just looked at the E682 config and it only has settings for the static IP and the subnet. Even without a gateway address it still works through FPP. Dunno why but it just does and has for a couple years for me. I’m running v5.03 on the E682 firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by th182; 06-02-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some testing today and made it worked, but I do not quite understand why. So my show is now configured with 5 controllers 206-210. When I run the show on the Falcon player only powering the 209 up then it do not work correct. If I power up controller 208 and 209 then the show runs fine. If I turn off the 209 then also the 208 do not work fine. So you could say that I just need to have at least two controllers running and that is fine. I just would like to understand why this is happening. I guess that this must have something to do with the Falcon player software (using version 1.9). Anyone had some similar experiences? For me this is a bit fragile so I would like to understand the issue here.

Post Thanks / Like

FPP is usually not happy with unicast IP that don't exist. are your controllers unicast?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Mike has like touched on your issue. In FPP, unicast controllers muse be full working. In FPP, unicast sends out data then listens for the controller to acknowledge receipt. If the controller is off, it cannot acknowledge and FPP continues to listen. If you are not using a unicast controller, you must turn it off in FPP.

FPP
    Input/Outputs
    Channel Outputs
    E1.31

Unclick all "Active Universe" that are unicast and not functional. Not an issue with Multicast.
    In Lights Therapy

10. Likes larsande liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yes all my controllers are unicast, so that is a very useful explanations. Thanks for all the information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12