Thread: 58' Bungalow Bullet Nodes, Start from one end or middle?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 58' Bungalow Bullet Nodes, Start from one end or middle?

I want to put bullet nodes across the front of my house inside J channel. I originally thought just starting at one end is best, but after watching this video I'm not so sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6jUM1OaYM. What do you guys think? I will be using and wemos D1 mini to control them through Home Assistant.

I also want to continue them up the one side peak eventually, but I'll just start with the front.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 58' Bungalow Bullet Nodes, Start from one end or middle?

Nothing wrong with what you saw but I would use multiple controllers or outputs to control the lights. This would likely mean you would need to change some of the routines in the wemos code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Nothing wrong with what you saw but I would use multiple controllers or outputs to control the lights. This would likely mean you would need to change some of the routines in the wemos code.
    What would multiple controls gain me with this project? Sorry I've read quite a bit but there's so much to take in.

Post Thanks / Like

The video you linked showed a central controller running the same program in multiple directions. that is the"problem" from a Christmas light sequence perspective. you can't run an effect across the house from one end to the other. it would"start" at the controller and fan out from there. . If you are just going to run the patterns already in the controller that works butI would prefer to have control over every light. If I recall, the video showed three segments connected together at the controller. power wise -good to be in the middle. output wise, needs multiple outputs.

Post Thanks / Like

you can't run an effect across the house from one end to the other.
    I'm sorry, may be I'm misunderstanding something, but for example in Vixen software you able to make setup as you want.
    For example, your seq may start from middle.
    There are no "locking" on physical pixel order. You just make your own order with software and it's work )
    Sorry for pore English.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have one output on the controller but three strings attached, the three strings will all carry the same "channels". You will need three outputs or you will need to run data line from end of string one to start of string two, etc.
    I edited to add this picture that explains better. So a simple one port controller like a esp8266 or wemos or a standard arduino sketch of any kind only uses one output. output problem #1.png
    It is not impossible to have them on three different outputs which then you could assign them pixel 1, 51 and 101 for example but you will have to write the sketch yourself or step up to a more robust controller. I think someone is working on a multi port teensy version for example but then you are not talking about a $10 controller you hack together yourself.
    Last edited by MikeKrebs; 05-18-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have one output on the controller but three strings attached, the three strings will all carry the same "channels". You will need three outputs or you will need to run data line from end of string one to start of string two, etc.
    I edited to add this picture that explains better. So a simple one port controller like a esp8266 or wemos or a standard arduino sketch of any kind only uses one output. output problem #1.png
    It is not impossible to have them on three different outputs which then you could assign them pixel 1, 51 and 101 for example but you will have to write the sketch yourself or step up to a more robust controller. I think someone is working on a multi port teensy version for example but then you are not talking about a $10 controller you hack together yourself.
    Thanks for the information! I'm ok with the basic setup for now and can advance further when I feel ready. I'm still very new to esp8266 chips and their coding so I have to start with just using someone elses code for now.

It appears a central location is probably easiest due to power injecting. I just want to have this working with my Home Assistant so I can automate things all in one place. I don't want to have parts of my house scattered in different programs.

Post Thanks / Like

Search for the ESPixelStick, it is a $20 (or less) Based on the ESP8266-01 that is capable of running 688+ pixels.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Search for the ESPixelStick, it is a $20 (or less) Based on the ESP8266-01 that is capable of running 688+ pixels.
    Yes I've seen that stick mentioned and sold on amazon. Maybe down the road I can pick one up and play with it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paxonator View Post
    Thanks for the information! I'm ok with the basic setup for now and can advance further when I feel ready. I'm still very new to esp8266 chips and their coding so I have to start with just using someone elses code for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxonator View Post
    Yes I've seen that stick mentioned and sold on amazon. Maybe down the road I can pick one up and play with it. Thanks for the heads up though.
    What I was also referring to is that there is already a very versatile firmware/code written for the devices, and you could use that as a starting point. It even has some home automation hooks already that may help you out.
    Matt