Thread: Lights On House.......How Do You?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights On House.......How Do You?

How do you attach lights to your house?

Just moved into our new house in February and want to hang my snow flakes and stars on the front of the house but am not sure how I can mount them to the house without drilling into the wood siding. Which I would like to avoid.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lights On House.......How Do You?

i use pvc stands. then i use a small length of twine connected to the window frame to keep it from falling over. other stuff is hung from the gutters or sits on the roof

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    i use pvc stands. then i use a small length of twine connected to the window frame to keep it from falling over. other stuff is hung from the gutters or sits on the roof
    I thought about running nylon rope from the gutter to the ground and hanging the items that way. Do you have any issues with wind/rain/snow?

Post Thanks / Like

had three storms with 70mph winds. no issues. plenty of snow and ice. did knock the icicles off my inverted arches to keep the weight off the eves. singing trees are on pvc frames on the roof. they have ropes that go back over the roof and attach to anchors on the back of the house. on the front of the i have lines that attach them to the front gutters. in high winds i can hear them thump a bit but they seem to be staying in place. fyi, the frame for the faces is 15' long so i do not worry about it twisting with 8 tie points.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 05-02-2018 at 09:10 PM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled through our wall stucco to attach my snowflakes. lol

Wood siding would be easier to patch/fill in later than stucco.
    To each his own. :P
    notwlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    had three storms with 70mph winds. no issues. plenty of snow and ice. did knock the icicles off my inverted arches to keep the weight off the eves. singing trees are on pvc frames on the roof. they have ropes that go back over the roof and attach to anchors on the back of the house. on the front of the i have lines that attach them to the front gutters. in high winds i can hear them thump a bit but they seem to be staying in place. fyi, the frame for the faces is 15' long so i do not worry about it twisting with 8 tie points.
    Do you possibly have any pictures of your setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but no. I only have night time video but that does not show how things are mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

You could install some permanent posts with screw threads tapped into them in the side of the house. Short ones that don't stick out too far in places like at the corners of windows and doors. There would act as stand-offs that you can attach individual effects to, or connect the posts with ling strips of wood or aluminum painted to match the color of the house. Then you attach your effects to those running boards. When done, you remove the running boards and make some plugs that fit into the posts to cover the open threads and match the color of those plus to the color of your house. In the off-season, those small posts won't be noticeable especially if they are always put at corners of things like shutters, windows, doors, or corners of the house. You can also have some right at the top of the house under the eaves. When you connect them all together, it can create a kind of lattice that will allow you to position lights and effects anywhere you want on your house. The stand-offs, can be mounted to the house, sealed, and painted to match to make them virtually invisible when not in use. Something like these: https://www.displays2go.com/P-13606/...hoC-D0QAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / Like

I would just use stainless screws and then paint the heads to match the house, except we just moved into this house. So it might be hard to get a good paint match. I might try getting a paint match but our house is a green color so it might be difficult.