Thread: Redesigning my entire layout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redesigning my entire layout.

Have a couple of questions. I have a 18 string pixel tree, 55 pixels per string. Originally I used all outputs on a 682 for each string of 55 and 2 strings if 110. Can I just use one output and inject power every 110 pixels? If so then I could use a 6804 to run the tree. Another output for 5 small arches with power injection and the other 2 outputs to run 2 pixel poles and the stars above them. I'll be using a HP server power supply at 750 watts, 62.5 amps. Maximum amperage I calculated at under 30 amps running pixels at 25%. But, my original question can I use one output to run the pixel tree With power injection? Also, if I can change out the 682 for a 6804 I would have more room for a couple more distro boards for power injection.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Redesigning my entire layout.

the 6804 with new firmware supports Unicast up to 12 universes, any output can drive any number of pixels, over multiple universes, up to the full capacity of the controller. so from what I am reading it is doable. now this all depends on how many pixels besides the tree you will be adding
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TazChaLet View Post
    the 6804 with new firmware supports Unicast up to 12 universes, any output can drive any number of pixels, over multiple universes, up to the full capacity of the controller. so from what I am reading it is doable. now this all depends on how many pixels besides the tree you will be adding
    Lets see. The 5 arches have a total pixel count if 160. The 2 pixel poles have a total of 312 pixels. So, tree 990, arches 160, pixel poles 312 for a total of 1,462 pixels. Also, the 4th output will be used for 16 channels Renard. This will eliminate 5 controllers and 7 power supplies making for easier setup.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are additional limits imposed by real world conditions beyond the controller.

Assuming WS2811 / WS2812 pixels:

a 25 ms (40 frames per second) show then the max number of pixels on any given port is ~600 (even if the controller is unlimited)
    a 50 ms (20 fps) show would give you about 1200 pixels on a port (assuming the controller can do that many)
    a 100 ms (10 fps) show would give you about 2400 pixels on a port (assuming the controller can do that many)
    etc.

The faster the refresh rate, the smoother the effects look and the shorter the string will be.
    A 50 ms refresh rate is almost noticeable in its color transitions. A 100 ms refresh rate starts to look choppy for fades and gradual changes
    Video or animation desires a faster refresh rate to give smooth motion.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

5. Thanks TomL8345 thanked for this post
    Likes TomL8345, JasonPortwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The faster the refresh rate, the smoother the effects look and the shorter the string will be.
    A 50 ms refresh rate is almost noticeable in its color transitions. A 100 ms refresh rate starts to look choppy for fades and gradual changes
    Video or animation desires a faster refresh rate to give smooth motion.
    I would add my experience with refresh rates from last year. I was out walking the dog and noticed the choppiness of my pixel tree. Some effects looked really bad, like snowflakes and moving circles. I re-rendered everything from 20fps to 40fps and the choppiness was gone. If the pixels are dense and ordered then you'll notice the frame rate more readily.

The advice about # of pixels per frame rate is correct. Just another trade off we have to consider.