Thread: First Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Setup

As Im going through my display and how I want it put up, I came across a thought in my head. After testing the pixels, I will need to put them fully up and run them to see how it will play out. Should I fully put up the display or test each section. Any ideas on this? Cause in my head Im having to fully put everything in place, test it and work out the kinks, but Im a more visual guy anyways and prefer to see things then diagram it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Setup

I wish I would have done that last year. I had everything tested inside at different times and thought everything was going to work fine but once I got it outside that wasn’t the case. I had problems with controllers water infiltration power and mounting among other things. Basically if something could go wrong it did. This year I’ll start early with some Halloween lights and then ease into Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that you actually need to put it up (unless you want to see what it will look like). I always test my stuff in the garage way ahead of time, that way I can work out any bugs. Just be sure to use the amount of wire in your testing that you will actually need for power and injection when you set it up (use the same wire you test with if possible).

Post Thanks / Like

Generally I put everything up and then do a few test. I also test most of the lights (not all, really depends on the time I have) and all the controllers before I put them out.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs

Christmas Lights On 16th Street - Facebook Page
    Christmas Lights On 16th Street - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I start setup early, usually with things that are harder to see. Lights can go out but Frosty and the other blow molds need to stay put until I decide it's OK to look like x-mas. If I build a new prop then I'll test that on its own. I have to rebuild my pixel tree soon so the neighbors will get to see that in the back yard for a few days. As for decorating the entire front yard in July, no.

Post Thanks / Like

I found it best (on the first time around) to install them in the order you set it up on your channel numbers. So plug in and test the first string of lights (channels 1-xxx). If anything appears off, you can fix it and move on to the next string....etc. It gets really confusing fast if you tweak the channels in the middle or end without making sure the first are fine. So if you test/check them in order, by the time you get to your last string, everything before it should have been perfect.
    notwlights.com