Thread: Different types of Led Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different types of Led Pixels

I am in the process of adding some 5 new snowflakes to my display an am having a problem getting the pixels to work. In my display I have two leaping arches the I am using these leds 20180418_134543.jpg.
    I also have four candy canes that are using these leds 20180418_134423.jpg.
    Now I want to add five snowflakes, two small snowflakes that use 71 of these pixels 20180418_134814.jpg
    I know the first two types of pixels are very similar and have somehow figured out how to get them working by using the total number of leds multiplied by three and guessing about the appropriate settings in both the Vixen program and the SanDevice settings.
    My problem is getting the bullet style pixels to do anything. Are there different settings in these two programs for bullet style than the other two types? As you can tell from my question, even though I have been working on these types of displays for two years now, I am having an incredibly difficult time learning how to do these things. Although I will never give up because these Led Christmas displays are too cool and I am the only person in my county who has these.
    If you need screen shots or more pics please let me know.

Thank you
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Different types of Led Pixels

Settings should be the same

1st the Strips are known as 30/10 meaning there are 30 LEDs per meter but only 10 "Pixels". The 3 LEDs, between the solder pads, where you can cut the Strips, make up one "Pixel". So you channel count is too high by a factor of 3.

I see the Strips are 12V, add the nodes also 12V? They come in 12V & 5V.

Also the nodes have a data in side and a data out side, did you connect the data in side?
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Settings should be the same

1st the Strips are known as 30/10 meaning there are 30 LEDs per meter but only 10 "Pixels". The 3 LEDs, between the solder pads, where you can cut the Strips, make up one "Pixel". So you channel count is too high by a factor of 3.

I see the Strips are 12V, add the nodes also 12V? They come in 12V & 5V.

Also the nodes have a data in side and a data out side, did you connect the data in side?
    Thank you for answering so quick I was not expecting that.
    As far as my channel count that is how I understood the SanDevice and Vixen instructions for the 30/10 leds but I can change that.
    All my leds are ws2811 12v RGB no matter how they are packaged.
    Yes I learned in a previous thread that power/data input goes on the side with the printing.
    So if I understand correctly that if I just (in Vixen) make new categories claiming 442 leds and not multiplying by 3 these should work. I just read in a thread below mine about upgrading the SanDevice firmware might help as well but I read on the SanDevice website that if "it aint broke don't fix it" .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robotjam View Post
    Thank you for answering so quick I was not expecting that.
    As far as my channel count that is how I understood the SanDevice and Vixen instructions for the 30/10 leds but I can change that.
    All my leds are ws2811 12v RGB no matter how they are packaged.
    Yes I learned in a previous thread that power/data input goes on the side with the printing.
    So if I understand correctly that if I just (in Vixen) make new categories claiming 442 leds and not multiplying by 3 these should work. I just read in a thread below mine about upgrading the SanDevice firmware might help as well but I read on the SanDevice website that if "it aint broke don't fix it" .
    For any RGB "Pixel" you need 3 channels to control it, so for 1 bullet node it take 3 channels to work, so for 442 nodes you will need 1326 channels.

The strips also require 3 channel per Pixel but for them 1 "Pixel" is 3 RGB LEDs (the IC chip is the actual "Pixel" and there is one for every 3 LEDs) so you count the # of groups of 3 you have and multiply that by 3, I know it is the same as counting the # of LEDs but by using the proper terms and methods it will help when you get new items.

Yes the new WS2811 chips have a different refresh rate that the older v4 firmware does not support, so it is broke and needs to be fixed.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

in vixen you will define 442 pixels then add rgb color handling to the. this will result in 1326 channels that need to be patched.

Edited. I suck at typing on my phone.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 04-19-2018 at 06:58 AM.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    ivixen yoiu will define 442 pixels then add rgb color handling to the. this will result in 12326 channels that need to be patched.
    Doh! , I knew that, guess I got hung up on the difference between the strips and nodes.

Thanks Martin for straightening me out.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    ivixen yoiu will define 442 pixels then add rgb color handling to the. this will result in 12326 channels that need to be patched.
    12326 WOW channels will my one SanDevice E682 handle that along with my other arches and candy canes?

Post Thanks / Like

12326 WOW channels will my one SanDevice E682 handle that along with my other arches and candy canes?
    Against my better judgement I did the firmware update and all is working perfect. I was originally afraid I would ruin all my earlier work on my leaping arches and candy canes but they are still working perfect and my new bullet style leds are also great.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help and especially member "Ruppo" for talking me into trying something new. Looks like I will be up all night creating some new sequences for my new snowflakes.

Again thank you all for your help and support.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, fat fingered the number, 1326
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

LOL you had me scared there. After I upgraded the firmware all is well now, so far. Thanks