Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Higher output power supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Higher output power supply

Can't beat that deal! The parts alone are worth more than $8.
    Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    I came across a write-up on one of the RC groups quite a while ago when I was making a set of 1200 supplies for 24V about using Power Pole connectors mounted to those edge connector traces to get high amperage off the supply? I would imagine that there is such a mod for the ones you have as well.
    Or if you can find the part number for the edge connector to fit your supply, then you can just make up whatever you need fairly easily and also have the ability to change out the supply if ever needed without troubles. That is why I use the breakout boards myself as they were just as cheap as trying to buy an edge connector when I did mine and had the startup circuitry already in place. It just makes drawing the higher current of the supply easier since the board uses all the edge traces to spread the load.

Oops, just went back and saw UkeWarriors post about his breakout adapter for your supply! I would personally go that route myself and save yourself some headaches later on.

Here is a cheaper breakout board from Parallel Miner site that works with the 750 supply for only $8.00:

https://www.parallelminer.com/produc...tt-dps-1200fb/

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I pointed out the deficiency in that connector was for positive feedback and not criticism. 62 amps or even the 24 you need is a lot of current and generates a lot of heat. If you pull that much through the connector then you would probably see the edge connector burn off. I've see that happen a lot on old linear power supplies and PCB's. Try searching for burned edge connector and you'll see what it looks like. They key is spreading the load over a large enough conductor to avoid overheating. Always make sure you have the right wire gauge and/or split the current across multiple wires. Use fusing downstream to make sure you don't draw more current than what the wire will handle. For example, if you're feeding a distribution board that has 4, 5 amp fuses then make sure the wire feeding it can handle 20 amps of current. The connectors and connection to the power supply also have to handle 20 amps. The last thing I would add is not to max out the load. If you need to use 20 amps then make sure your connection can handle more than 20 amps (preferably 20% more).

3. Likes beeiilll liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that any of us would criticize your comment and you were right to point out the "facts" about using these higher power supplies.
    Certainly it does take a fair amount of calculating along with common sense to use anything in this hobby that we do. We like to do it for as little as possible but there are times that shortcuts can come back and bite us in the butt if not careful.
    I too have seen high current destruction and "it ain't a pretty sight" nor anything that we want to happen to things. That and the new way we are using these supplies is another reason to take a bit of caution in their implementation.
    But by the same token, I have had more than my share of "letting the magic smoke out" when trying out new ideas and kind of pushing the envelope when doing new and different ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Can't beat that deal! The parts alone are worth more than $8.
    You guys have been extremely helpful. I ordered 4 of the breakout boards along with connectors using 14 and 16 gauge wire. Using the breakout board I won't have the need to use terminal blocks. I can use the distro boards I got from mrsmoofy for power injection. The guy I talked too at parallelminer was really helpful. I should get the stuff in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck with your builds!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    You guys have been extremely helpful. I ordered 4 of the breakout boards along with connectors using 14 and 16 gauge wire. Using the breakout board I won't have the need to use terminal blocks. I can use the distro boards I got from mrsmoofy for power injection. The guy I talked too at parallelminer was really helpful. I should get the stuff in a couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    Good Luck with your builds!
    Thank you so much. So far I have eliminated 9 power supplies and 5 controllers. I'll probably be putting stuff up for sale like 12 volt LRS series ps, couple of controllers, 682 and 6804 and white Tees, 10 and 5 foot 3 wire extensions and pigtails. I have to see what I have before I post.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on parallelminer! Nice folks and helpful.
    Glad to hear you found things that will help out and should make it a bit easier in the long run for you as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeiilll View Post
    +1 on parallelminer! Nice folks and helpful.
    Glad to hear you found things that will help out and should make it a bit easier in the long run for you as well!
    Btw, I'm always open to criticism and I don't take offense to it.

10. Thanks beeiilll thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find that I have gotten too old to take offense to anything much anymore! There are way too many folks out there who know more/better/newer ways to do this stuff now than I do. Still, like to tinker with it though but now with health and no income, it is becoming a much lesser interest for me I'm afraid.

I am kind of cataloging a lot of the items that I have now and am trying to convince myself to start selling things I guess. Just hard to let it go when it is fun and provides a lot of entertainment not only for others but for me as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit these breakout boards are nice. Makes for a cleaner installation. Also nice having an on/off on the breakout board. I have 14 gauge going to each side of the controller and 16 gauge going to the distro boards.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345