Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: I got wrong pixels?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    On the 100 count string tap into the data line for pixel #2 and connect it to a port , pixel #1 on that string could be sick .

    Also you may require a resistor inline with your new pixels . look closely at the pictures you posted .
    Last edited by angus40; 04-16-2018 at 11:29 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    On the 100 count string tap into the data line for pixel #2 and connect it to a port , pixel #1 on that string could be sick .

    Also you may require a resistor inline with your new pixels . look closely at the pictures you posted .
    What are the odds? I forgot I cut off the first pixel of the string that worked. What are the odds of all 5 strings having a bad first pixel? Apparently in my case 100%. That was the problem. I cut off the first pixel and the second string worked. Did the same on the third string and it worked. Guess I should just cutoff the first pixel of the remaining 2 strings. Thank you Angus40.

    Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

  3. Likes Keith R liked this post
  4. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    I agree - what are the odds?... and I think the answer is this is not likely pure coincidence.

    It could be that the pixel strands were made in the same lot, AND they are made in a jig where all pixels at position <n> are inserted and connected, then position <n-1>, etc AND it was just at that point where the first pixels in your strands were being added that they ran out of pixels and went to a new batch of pixels AND those were all bad... Note that I'm not saying that's how these are made, but pointing out there are some other explanations.

    However, I'm pretty sure that Ray Wu tests the strands before sending them out, and what may be the most likely explanation is that the strands were hooked up incorrectly (and the first pixel was damaged) or even perhaps an ESD event ruined the first pixels (though I believe they are still using a 33Ω resistor in series with the data input...).

    Just a thought, not accusing or suggesting I have the one and only answer. It would be interesting to get to the definitive cause though.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hudson MA
    Posts
    3,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    What are the odds? I forgot I cut off the first pixel of the string that worked. What are the odds of all 5 strings having a bad first pixel? Apparently in my case 100%. That was the problem. I cut off the first pixel and the second string worked. Did the same on the third string and it worked. Guess I should just cutoff the first pixel of the remaining 2 strings. Thank you Angus40.

    Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Sometimes Pixel 1 is wired differently than the rest of the pixels. I had that on a few of my strings.


    2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    Thanks guys. I just find it strange that the string would work when connected to another string but not when connected to the controller. But, problem solved thank to you all.

    Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK S80 postcode
    Posts
    1,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    Hi, I'm guessing the photo in post one is the first pixel that you cut off the string that worked. I notice it has a 151 (150 ohms) resistor in the R1 spot on the board? Do the other pixels also have this resistor? This looks like it it could be a series input resistor fitted just on the first pixel of each string and something like 330 (33 ohms) fitted on the others.

    If so as the E68x already has a series output resistor of about 220 ohms adding the 150 ohms input to it would be quite a high value and explain why the string didn't work. How ever if connected to another pixel which doesn't have an output resistor othough higher than the 33 ohms 150 could be low enough to work.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    1,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I got wrong pixels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, I'm guessing the photo in post one is the first pixel that you cut off the string that worked. I notice it has a 151 (150 ohms) resistor in the R1 spot on the board? Do the other pixels also have this resistor? This looks like it it could be a series input resistor fitted just on the first pixel of each string and something like 330 (33 ohms) fitted on the others.

    If so as the E68x already has a series output resistor of about 220 ohms adding the 150 ohms input to it would be quite a high value and explain why the string didn't work. How ever if connected to another pixel which doesn't have an output resistor othough higher than the 33 ohms 150 could be low enough to work.
    All 500 pixels have that 151 resistor.

    Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •