Thread: Can I?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can I?

Right now I'm using a 682 for a pixel tree utilizing all 16 outputs. I'm running 2-12 volt 350 watt power supplies. 16 strands of 55 pixel each. I'm curious if I can get away with 1 power supply if I'm running the pixels at 25%? These are square pixels and I think the wattage if each is .6 watts.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I?

Everything I have seen is that the power consumption of pixels is in direct proportion to the "Brightness" level you are running, so at 25% you should be able to run close to 4X the pixels on the same power needed @ 100%.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    Everything I have seen is that the power consumption of pixels is in direct proportion to the "Brightness" level you are running, so at 25% you should be able to run close to 4X the pixels on the same power needed @ 100%.
    I kinda thought the same thing. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will be an exact ratio like that. I remember testing current draw on my 270 pixel star and even with the pixels off it was pulling 1 amp so you will have a base current draw regardless of the power setting.
    Didn't pay for a sig

Post Thanks / Like

I ran 100% with an e682 with a 16 x 50 tree on one power supply until this year. I changed to 50% because I could with the new e682 software. I never seemed to have any issues but I didn't run full white very often. The only reason I did it was because I saw David Pitts doing it (one power supply on a 16x50) at a Christmas Expo near Dallas a few years back. I also ran both square and bullet pixels the same way.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    I ran 100% with an e682 with a 16 x 50 tree on one power supply until this year. I changed to 50% because I could with the new e682 software. I never seemed to have any issues but I didn't run full white very often. The only reason I did it was because I saw David Pitts doing it (one power supply on a 16x50) at a Christmas Expo near Dallas a few years back. I also ran both square and bullet pixels the same way.
    25% does really well for me. One can see the separate colors and not one big blob of color. Extremely pleasing to the eye.